PDA

View Full Version : Free Wheeling Problem

jlessel
07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
just bought a new 855d. love it except it free wheels going down hill. Very dangerous! talked to service rep at 800 number, they said it's normal. What is normal about that? Does anyone know if Deere is working on this problem? I suspect a polaris transmission in a gator. nothing I have ever been on does this.

srb08
07-23-2011, 07:41 PM
It should only free wheel if you let the engine rpm's drop too low. When you start to free wheel, give the engine a little throttle. The transmission should engage and slow you down. You should also be in low range for maximum braking. It took me a little while to get used to the process but it does work. Seems counter intuitive to give the engine gas to slow down but that's what you need to do.
Let us know how you fare.
Steve

825joe
07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
the cvt is Team Industries. Keep the rpms up a bit, play with the throttle. It is not so much a problem as a minor inconvinience and not dangerous if you use caution on steep hills. Polaris rangers do that as well.

jlessel
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I understand. my question is why does deere allow this? If I pay this much for a vehicle, I expect it to perform well. I should not be expected to throttle up, brake at the same time to prevent something my twenty year old murray mower does not do. This is not common on others and should not be on a Deere. We should be able to expect engine braking, and good brakes, something this machine does not have.

trainman
07-26-2011, 01:23 AM
I think you will be in the minority on this, several in the industry perform this way, plus motorcycles at an extra cost are going to this type of transmission on dirt bikes and some street models. This should have been covered on your test drive at the dealer before you purchased a Gator, you did test drive one, right?

John

Bill steffey
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I guess I should have asked the dealer about going down the hillside... since it's 50-60 feet downhill, and by going slowly, the solution suggests speeding up to get the trans to catch... once i do this will it hold or let go further propelling me down the hill even faster ??? I have forbidden anyone here from driving on 80 % of the property till we figure this out,,,,
and it is not worth owning for staying just on the top of the ridge.... my lawnmower is a four wheel drive ...and it works nicely down the hill.... are there other gators which won't let go ???? 10 hours on a new CX...
I believe that it is a fair expectation to expect the drive system to stay engaged... since the brakes on 2 wheels isn't enough to stop on the hill.....
bill

825joe
10-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't see a problem with hills at all. I use low range if it is a very steep decline and like everyone said just play with the throttle give it a light tap to keep the cvt engaged. As for it having good brakes. I can stop just fine. The brakes require some "break in" time for the pads to seat in. More so than other ones I have seen but none the less they work great.

jlessel
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
getting used to it. but I'm keeping it on the level, just around the place. Still cannot believe Deere(or anyone) would put out something with this transmission and no brakes. I could live with the transmission if it had good brakes. everything else is top notch. just don't get yourself in a bind, and have to rely on the brakes.

win300p
10-06-2011, 12:16 AM
I just hit the 25 mile mark on my 825i and the brakes are just now seated in good just give yours some time.. I felt the same way as you even brought it in and had my son help me blead them called my deere store and that is what they told me.. that they needed to seat and they did.. The down hill stuff just takes some getting use to.. Like any other to got to play with it a little to get the feel

825joe
10-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Same here with the brakes. A few good long hard stops and they are 10x better now. I have 290 miles on her now

agla0047
10-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Ok I have become very familiar with going down the steep hills while keeping throttle engaged and 1 foot on brake but is anyone out there experienced with the same scenario in muddy or snowy conditions. My Atv engine braking still worked great but how is loose sloppy conditions going to react to 1 foot on the brake. If anyone has any experience please let us know

puggsleys gator
10-21-2011, 09:57 PM
If you want engine braking don't buy anything but the Honda. All cvt trannies are this way, as the engine goes into the idle mode, cvt pulleys relax from the drive belt, and the positive connection to the engine is lost.....thus the free wheel affect. These units will all have parking brakes which MUST be engaged when the operator leaves the unit, as they are easy to roll, without the brake, even when in gear!

825joe
10-22-2011, 08:02 AM
yamaha rhino has the engine braking.

fire gator
10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
usually should be in low gear also if you need more then brakes

RMOSSSO1
10-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I too found this to be a problem. Not for me, as I now just down shift to low on severe down hill slopes. But it was a blessing in disguise. I just tell my kids and friends the 825i has a known braking quirk and as such, I am reluctant to let you drive the GATOR. I then point to the 250 Honda Rancher and 450 Ranger and let them drive the HONDAs. My back loves the ride of the GATOR. Understand the drive line and you will not worry.

tob303
10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I run my 825i on extreme steep grades and you need to keep one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. Tap the accelerator to keep the engine engaged and you have NO Problem. I enjoy having to actually "drive" the vehicle, Have a little fun and learn your Gator.

John Deere Nick
10-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I run my 825i on extreme steep grades and you need to keep one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. Tap the accelerator to keep the engine engaged and you have NO Problem. I enjoy having to actually "drive" the vehicle, Have a little fun and learn your Gator.

I feel the exact same way ole buddy. I love my gator. Wouldnt trade her for no four wheeler.

Timothy
11-14-2011, 07:15 AM
I live in Wv and I sure can't get use to it with my 2007 hpx.I purchased a snow plow and got it all ready to clear driveway for the winter.I have one area that is very steep and at bottom turns sharply to the right.The way my gator freewheels would be a death ride in snow .I purchased my gator used and is in very nice shape.curtis heated cab.I like it alot but the freewheel really has me nervous for upcoming winter,Tim

xuvron
11-23-2011, 03:30 PM
If you want engine braking don't buy anything but the Honda. All cvt trannies are this way, as the engine goes into the idle mode, cvt pulleys relax from the drive belt, and the positive connection to the engine is lost.....thus the free wheel affect. These units will all have parking brakes which MUST be engaged when the operator leaves the unit, as they are easy to roll, without the brake, even when in gear!

If thats all you want is engine braking buy the honda. Its not much good for anything else.