PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the sunny??? NW

jdamt600
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Hello to all JD fans - I bought my first JD, a mower 170, back in the 80's, then a AMT600, then a JD 950 (yanmar) Tractor and last year a 2005 4x2 Gator HPX. The Gator and I are still getting use to each other. It's been a slow process. It had about 300 hours on it when I bought it. Got it home and it didn't like to run, didn't like to shift and made some very strange noises and rattles. First the carb was plugged so bad nothing I tried helped so $400 later a new 4th generation carb. Nite and day -it ran great - then back plug wire kept falling off (seems plug cap un-screwed and stuck in plug wire) - screwed cap back on plug - engine now runs like a clock. Now to the shifting - belt would not disengage - after much debate pulled drive clutch. Bought JD clutch puller but made my own tool to remove spider. Found clutch spring broke in 3 peices - (note white teflon bushing -DO NOT try and replace; it does not come out) installed a new JD spring. Shifts like a dream. As to the noises and rattles still hunting them down. Latest bug it sometimes doesn't want to start. See won't start thread to see fix (in progress)
Hope I can help some -- pray some can help me. (this was suppose to be under new members)

purplewg
07-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome aboard. I had a 4x2 and it really served it purpose. It was also a very good learning experience for me. I posted pics somewhere here of the project.

Deputy347k9
07-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Welcome aboard my friend, you will find everyone here is willing to give advise and help out. Wish you the very best with your machine. Any chances of an 825i in the future? It's like going to the ball game and you catch that final winning ball, your hooked for life!

WOEII
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/34g4ljl.gif