PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fix for gas gauge crazing

pcbunn
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok call me cheap but I've deal with these clear plastic gas gauges before and it doesn't take long in the sun to cloud the lens. Here is my cheap fix. Take a spray paint can cap, clear if you have one, I just use whatever and use it as a cap. Take a small piece of sticky back Velcro and put it on the tank, a 1/2 inch or so will do, right next to the gauge or where the paint can cap edge lies, Then take a 1 1/2 inch piece of the woven velcro and wrap it from the out side to the inside of the cap. Thats it! The cap will just stay in place over the gauge under most conditions, use additional velcro if not, but the one piece will hinge and allow you to check the gas all the while protecting the plastic from the sun. When the cap dies just replace it. Super cheap!

purplewg
08-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Good idea pcbunn but I would prefer JD provide me with same quality gas cap as I paid them for the unit.

Deputy347k9
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM
PCBUNN, very nice ideal and thank you for being the brains of the outfit! I have to agree with Purplewg on this one, for what we dish out for these machines I would expect something as simple as a gas gauge to last. Product quality and customer satisfaction is the name of the game. I don't mind payig top dollar for quality but I expect quality.

When a company ignors small things like this they really pee the customers off. Looke at the money we all spend on dressing our machines up! Very very few dealers will give you any break on options, knowing John Deere controls pricing US wide.

Sorry for the bitching, it's just one of those morning where I need to vent.

srb08
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I agree, I'm just worried if they skimped on the gas gauge, what else did they do on the cheap.
Deputy is right, if you pay for quality, you expect quality.
Maybe we have unrealistic expectations?

825joe
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I hear ya...the gas gauge really should have been different

pcbunn
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree with all of you and I too am disappointed in this aspect of the machine. My '04 Kawasaki ZX12R has a digital gas gauge and its 7 years old. I think there are always going to be things that should have been done better but in reality many times they are not and that's just the way it is. The gas tank should have been 7 gallons for instance. I was just suggesting a way to prevent the clear cap from clouding over so soon not trying to make excuses for JD.

GatorMover
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm going to give you guys some advice. If you have an issue like this, something that you know can be done better and "provide value to you as an owner" then write JD. When you get your customer survey, tell them. If you already sent that in while you were still beaming with joy from your new machine, get online and send them mail. JD listens to the customer. You have no idea how important is to them. They employ a staff of people who's job it is to compile that information and report it to people who care a lot about what the customer thinks. I'm just sayin. I would bet you a new gator that they monitor this board occasionally. These are the kind of places that produce "grass roots" type data that has good value for them as a company.

pcbunn
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree completely and would expect the JD folks to monitor and even participate in this valuable forum. I have now owned three JD products and have always found JD to be an exceptional company as regards their customers. Product development is an ongoing concern so I'm sure that the future Gators will improve in many ways.