PDA

View Full Version : New to this - Questions about the 855D

hornadylnl
08-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I recently purchased 27 acres of ground (17 acres woods/10 acres field) and would like to get some sort of UTV. I can't believe the cost of these things as a new one is more than any of my vehicles are worth. I started looking at the Japanese mini trucks but the supply of them all seem to have dried up on the net, especially locally. I'd hate to spend $5k on one only to have a paper weight due to parts availability, etc.

What I'm wanting is a work horse, not a play toy. Speed is not a desire. I already have a diesel John Deere 4120 compact tractor and a diesel tank so I'm leaning towards a diesel. I don't plan to abuse this thing at all. I want something with as big of cargo box possible and be able to haul a lot of weight. That's where the Japanese mini trucks seem to shine. The 855D seems to be the best in the UTV class though.

If I shell out $12k for one of these things, what kind of life expectancy should I see out of it with regular maintenance? 5, 10, 20 years? Do John Deere dealers work on price on these things or are they strictly MSRP? The only thing I'd get out of the gate would be the front brush guard and front basket. $12k for one of these isn't that bad if I can expect several years of service without it just flat falling apart. I probably wouldn't average more than 2-4 hours a week on this over a years time.

TIA for any advice.

trainman
08-14-2011, 09:37 AM
From what I've read on this forum the 855D's are holding up very well, since I own a 825i I really can't answer the questions on the diesel as I'm sure others can, but I would buy the 855D if it fit my use better than the 825i. The biggest reason I went with the 825i was the top speed of 44 mph, much better dash instruments (digital), and rear tail lights standard on the vehicle, also it's somewhere around $1000 less, probably some other things, but these were what just came to mind at this time. If you shop dealers you will find that around 10% discount off of MSRP is about top discount that you will get from them, other things to consider would be the other charges that they would add to the unit, freight, assembly, etc. could also be a factor. Other factors are dealer locations through out the country, some dealers have a captive audience and hold their prices up where as like where I live (DFW area) there as several dealers and they will deal. You said you had a JD 4120, if your dealer gave you a deal on this then you will most likely be able to deal on a new Gator, but some on this forum have said that their dealer would not deal and MSRP was their price, this where you have to decide if you want to buy elsewhere, or pay the price. At 2-4 hours a week I'm not sure you could wear the thing out with proper maintenance done to it.

John

hornadylnl
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, I got quotes from 3 different dealers today. I have to pay 7% sales tax. One came in below the build configuration price out the door and the highest one is almost $600 more. The one is knocking off just over a grand before tax. So far, the salesman at that dealer has been great to talk to so far. Now I just have to pull the trigger.

john
08-16-2011, 07:54 PM
you may be able to avoid sales tax if it is for farm use.in virginia that is the case.i got my 855d in jan and now have 150 hr on her love it.gets great mileage on off road fuel,good luck.

hornadylnl
08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I already talked to my tax guy and he said for my use, it wouldn't qualify for the farm tax exemption. Even with the 7%, I'll still be able to get it for less than list price.

I had it quoted for front brush guard, front fender guards, rear protection package, and the 2 year extended warranty. It seems that the accessory prices aren't any worse than HD.

ThomasM
08-17-2011, 07:45 AM
If you live close to a state line, usually the delivery fee is less than the sales tax, I live in North Ga and purchased mine in TN. The saving was considerable over the $145.00 Delv fee.

J Grace
08-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Purchased a 855D about two months ago - no issues with the machine and dealer has been great to deal with.
Just keep adding equipment -Tow gang reel mower, 45 gal sprayer, plow and custom radio. Maybe turbo in the future?
Wish it had power steering at slow speeds.

J Grace

purplewg
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I didn't have to pay any tax on my tractors or other farm equipment but when I checked into the Gator, it clearly stated the UTV would have to be 100% on the farm or I could get a big fine. I elected to pay the tax since I will use it for hunting on occasion.

hornadylnl
08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and put a deposit on the gator today. I believe the tentative ship date is September 2nd. Now, it's a waiting game.