PDA

View Full Version : Gator problem

agla0047
10-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Yesterday I pulled into my favorite hunting spot while in 4wd with lock engaged. When i went to leave i started machine in previous configuration and backed up while turning to the left. When I went to pull forward gator was like steering a tank and it felt as if it was very sluggish drove approximately 100 feet with a very noticeable romp romp romp sound. I disengaged lock and took out of 4wd and put in reverse backed up 20 ft and noise as well as sluggishness went away no problems since.. Any Ideas

lager1829
10-31-2011, 11:43 PM
That had happened to me when I first got my Gator - it's a bit unnerving - and, as you pointed out, reversing seemed to clear it. Every so often, I have a similar experience when disengaging 4wd - mainly the steering feels bound/tight - but I have not had a re-occurrence of the romp romp sound since the first time. Again, backing up seems to clear it up. That first experience, however, did prompt me to get that extended warranty.

John Deere Nick
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Our Gators are much like trucks with manual hubs and 4x4 operating systems. It is not good to turn off your gator while still locked in 4x4 with diff lock on. You should always take it out of 4wd drive when parking. When you take it out its a good idea to always back up like is recomended in a truck. I like to put mine in Neutral when putting in and taking out of 4x4.

fire gator
11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
diff lock for the bad stuff not just 4x4 ing around also when engaged will be hard to turn and if turned tight could strt to damage diff lock that is why most trucks today have alimited slip diff

obryantp
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
mine has done the same thing. any suggestions as to what it actually is?

John Deere Nick
11-28-2011, 04:16 PM
I am not sure what causes it 100%. Its basically getting in a bind and is unable to come out of it without unlocking diff and turning off 4wd and backing up. Some may remember the older model early 90s and 80 model Chevys would do this real bad. Iv had my share of trouble out of them atleast. Some of the stright axle toyotas would also do this same thing but nothing like the chevys did.