PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt cover problem.

pahawi
12-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Discovered the alternator pulley/belt were "eating" the plastic cover, and when I unscrewed the cover, I also discovered the zerk on the splined coupler, were robbing on the plastic cover. I used my Dremel to cut off a bit of the cover, and added a spacer behind the screw in the end, closest to the alternator, to make more room for the zerk. Here's a picture of the inside of the cover.

The red circle marks, where the pulley and belt had been "eating" of the cover, and the white circle marks, where the zerk had been hitting (shiny area). I think the noise have been reduced a tad, but it's hard to tell, as my machine still has the front drive shaft rattle, but if others have some indefinable noise from the engine area, it might be worth to check your belt cover.

Paul

kingwood1
01-25-2012, 02:24 PM
any ideas how to fix the front drive shaft rattle?, i also had the alternator problem and fixed with a spacer but front rattle is driving me crazy

duling
01-26-2012, 06:35 AM
My front driveshaft rattle and grinding sound was due to that bearing issue that has been brought up on this forum several times. I took it back to get that issue fixed and now no more rattle or grinding.