PDA

View Full Version : voltage regulator with alternator

Peeva
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
The Stator on my 6x4 gator went bad, so I replaced it with an alternator. Is there any reason to keep the original voltage regulator plugged in? With it plugged in, the discharge light is always on since the Stator is not working. I can cure this by unplugging the original voltage regulator since the alternator has it's own voltage regulator. However, is there something else that I'm losing by doing this?

xcxc
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Peeva, would like to know more info on your stator swap out. I've noticed my battery running down due to what I think to be my stator not working and would like to get things back up and running. Could use your help, Thanks, Wayne

Peeva
12-10-2011, 08:21 PM
That was my problem as well. I didn't want to tackle trying to replace the stator, and found the optional alternator kit online for a reasonable price. Was easy to install, and solved the problem. Just trying to determine if I still need the original voltage regulator. Have you determined that the stator is the problem, and not something else draining the battery? Make sure the wiring connections are okay, and check to see if the battery is getting charged when the gator is running.

xcxc
12-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Peeva, asked a friend about the regulator and he thought that it wasn't needed as long as the voltage was regulated you should be OK. He's not 100% so don't bet the farm on it. Looking into my issue, the battery voltage had droped some and while driving with the lights on they started diming. Checking the battery with it running it was not charging,[12 volts] after removing the + terminal the engine would quit after a minute or so. I would imagine that the stator was puting out a small amount of power. It'll start and run fine as long as I keep the battery charged but slowly drains the battery with starts and lights. Haven,t looked into parts yet, my supplier needs part numbers to order.

Peeva
12-11-2011, 05:52 PM
xcxc: I've been dealing with the problem for quite awhile, so some recommendations. Remove the flywheel cover (3 bolts) and slide a thin piece of metal between the flywheel and motor (i used a joist cross brace). If you start pulling out pieces of magnet, the stator needs replacement. When you replace the flywheel cover, make sure you replace the ground wire on the lower rear bolt, or your motor won't start. If you don't find much, your stator is still charging somewhat, and you don't use the gator that much, purchase a solar trickle charger to keep the batter fully charged while the gator is parked. This could keep you going until the stator finally fails. Finally, keep your eye on ebay for an gator alternator kit.

Suffolk Dave
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
When you add the optional alternator kit you remove the W2 Main harness connector from the N1 Voltage regulator and plug it into the new W29 alternator harness connector X12. Then you plug the W29 X13 connector into the N1 Voltage Regulator and run the provided pig tails from the back of the X13 connector to the battery terminals and alternator terminals (circuit # 100 and 200).
It appears from the circuit diagram that if you unplug the X13 end from the N1 Voltage Regulator you will lose circuit #425 which is the voltage sense line from the key switch that tells the regulator the current battery voltage so it can adjust (or regulate) its output to the battery. You would also lose circuit #600 that lights the Discharge light when the regulated output falls below a set point.
If you are worried about bad Stator output voltage causing a charging problem after installing an optional alternator kit you could remove the output of the stator by disconnecting it at its output W12 connections X1 and insulating the removed connectors.
Hope this helps
Suffolk Dave