PDA

View Full Version : Fender polymer type

Salisburysenior
12-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd like to know the precise polymer used for the fenders on a 10-yr old 6x4 gator. The left fender on my Gator has a stress crack where a bolt attaches the fender and I'd like to repair it. Is it ABS plastic (acrylonitrile, butadiene,styrene polymer) or something else? The repair technique and material depends on the polymer type. If anyone had been sucessful in making a repair like this, I'd appreciate hearing what you used. In a similar situation on a different vehicle, I used a cyanoacrylic resin with thin glass mesh and a filler.

ehatcher
12-25-2011, 09:33 PM
I would like to know how you wind up doing the repair. My 6x4 has a cracked front hood and I would love to make the repair myself rather than buy a whole new piece. Please post up some pics of how you fix the crack

I looked at some of the plastic repair kits that are sold and I noticed that some had a special type of repair rod that supposedly worked on many different types of plastic. I wonder if a "multi repair" material would be as good as the properly matched material... I really don't know much about these types of repairs.

Hopefully someone chimes in with the plastic material info.

Eric

OleGoat
01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
The left fender of my 10 year old 6x4 fender has also cracked. New fenders are available on EBay. However, I re-bolted the fender, using a "fender washer" about 2 years ago. The crack is slowly growing, but the fender remains secure to the frame. When this no longer works, I will replace the fender,

Suffolk Dave
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I have requested information on polymer type and availability of a repair kit for hood/fender parts from JD and will post their response. I do have several fenders to repair and if anyone has any good ideas let me know.
Suffolk Dave

purplewg
03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Not sure but I used Permatex? PermaPoxy™ 5 Minute Plastic Weld on a fender and hood one time and it held up pretty good. Never cracker there again while I had that Gator.

Aspetuck1453
08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Hdpe