PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ass Metals Custom Fabrication

BadAssMetals
01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Dave, I have a custom fab shop in Tennessee. We make custom everything, but recently did a John Deere gator top for one of our customers. I have it posted on my facebook badassmetals fan page and one of users saw it and thought I should post it here for you guys to check out. I put more photos in an album, not knowing your site, I guess you can get to them somehow... Unfortunately I can not afford one of these fine beasts at the moment... but can offer help in fabrication of custom components whethers questions on how to, designing, or you want us to build something for you. On my website badassmetals.com you can also see a diamond plate flatbed we built for a 6x6. Well thanks for taking a look, and thanks to William (dont know his screen name) for sending me this way! 812

offroad2000
01-31-2012, 12:44 PM
very nice any idea whats the cost

Bob in canada

BadAssMetals
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
We are trying to get them down to about $700.00 and that would include custom logo. I have a customer down in Florida, I am going to meet them on Thursday to discuss for their company Gators (the one in the pic was for one of their contractors). If I can get their buy-in I think I can do it, as it allows me to setup for more of a production mode. $700.00 is the number they threw at me. The one in the pic was $1100.00.

I'll let you know. Thanks

Regulator
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow, Dave....that's a slick looking top most certainly!!!...You did a great job on that....I really like the company logo on it too....that would be the cats ass for someone who'd want a little personalization on their Gator, or to have your company logo like the one in the pic...

Looks like these Gators are getting more popular as more units get out there, so I could see you doing well by making this top and some more custom pieces for 825i's and 855D's...I've been thinking of how I could add some railing to the bed of my 825i to raise up the side's a bit...maybe like a foot or so...I carry 3 or 4 dogs around alot and they are always close to getting tossed out when I hit some bumps...some aluminum rails (or tubes) would look great on there...it's something else to think about if you are looking for something that isn't being made yet for these Gators...

I wish you good luck in your business...I own a trucking company, so I've worked with my hands my whole life and know that good mechanics and metal fabricators are a hot commodity these days...it would be a good idea to ask other Gator owners for thoughts on other idea's for custom pieces that could be manufactured in lots by your place...

Larry in MD :Jestr:

purplewg
02-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Nice work but I paid less than $400 for an aluminum diamond plate with Linex covering delivered. I'm just saying you may be a bit high to compete for lids.

Deputy347k9
02-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Very nice, clean work! Over the years I have had many different items customized for either my show vehicles or toys. Wouldn't you think I would have learnt years ago, "you get what you pay for"! Just recently I purchased a customized aluminum spare tire hold for my enclosed trailer. Want to mount my spare 825i tire inside. Well I found a shop out of IL that advertized on Ebay, they had one that looked really nice for about $69.00 shipped. SEND IT! The 8 mounting holes looked as if a 2 year old drilled them out, I think the guy used a small drill bit and just kept drilling to make the hole bigger instead of getting the proper tool. There was more slag on the item then in the welds! Drilled holes were not aligned and one of the three studs that hold the tire on was tilted inward about 10 degrees! Took a local frabricator about 1 hour work to make the mount look like it should. I did email the owner of the company explaining my concerns, not looking for my money back because he had a great idea, just needs to clean up his work.
Your work my friend looks great and something I would be proud to display. I agree with Regulator, you should take the time and listen to many of the members here as they all have various needs. Some of these members own their own businesses, farms, ranches as well as hunters and gents fishing. They all have different needs. I bet you would come up with so super ideas.
One of the most useful items I have purchased for my 825i was the front basket. Very simple build by John Deere, however, you need to install thin plywood inside of it to make it really handy. I could see a beautiful aluminum one! A nice spare tire holder, bed extensions, bed dividers, tool box, gas can holder, half doors, and maybe even bumper or fender guards.

Just food for thought!:strpot:
Larry from Me

Regulator
02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow Larry...that's a great idea...half doors for the 825i's....sort of along the lines of the new RSX 850 Gator...something with an open design that would at least keep your legs inside in case of a weird bump, or catastrophic roll-over...it would also keep your body inside too, I'd bet...that would be great for us with Poly or Deluxe cabs for when we take off the full doors when it's warm out...

The aluminum basket for the front and the bed extenders are what I'd like to see too...

Larry in MD :Jestr:

825joe
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I would love to see half doors!!!:Thmup:

apple
02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
A aluminum front basket for the front would be killer. If was quick attach and removal. Half doors also would be nice like Regulator said to help keep legs inside of gator when doors are removed.

fire gator
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
prototypes are alwys more expensive it is if now that model is made how fast and easily can recreate it that is what they need to determine

BadAssMetals
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Well thanks everybody. I agree $700.00 is high, but I also agree you get what you pay for. This lid is built out of 3/16" thick aluminum and 4"x1/4" channel main support. It is stout, you could roll it, something heavy could fall on it, and yur nugget as well as roof would still be in tack! It was custom built and fitted for a customer, but throwing it out on the net and my customers customers seeing it has generated a lot of talk. You will never see a cheap product come out of my shop, I won't make them. fire gator has it, Prototypes -Hella expensive; minimum production - expensive; full production - affordable. We are going back to the drawing board, to see were we can cut cost, without losing integrity (we have a bad overkill problem, but products never come back!).

If I can figure out how to set up a discussion area, I'll get one going on new Bad Ass Gator products. It sounds like half doors might be a good start, you guys live in these things, so your honest productive feedback is welcomed. Throw out pricing (what would ya pay if it was on the market) it will help me to stay focused on cost. Thanks again and remember QUALITY: FAST: CHEAP - YA ONLY GET TO PICK TWO!! Oh yeah and it AIN'T MADE IN CHINA

825joe
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Im a big fan of MADE IN THE GOOD OL' USA!
If you make some half doors hell yeah i'd buy em'.:Thmup:

jody
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
How much for a pair of half doors for a 620?

Deputy347k9
02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Between half doors and the front basket, I do believe there would be a call for them.

It does not appear the front basket would be difficult to build out of aluminum. Instead of a open tube construction one built with a solid bottom and 5" in height outside would be so nice looking. After the bottom was cut to size the outsied would be one piece folded then welded around the seam. Could use the same style attachment points. I don't think it would be difficult.

I want one!

Larry form ME

apple
02-16-2012, 07:26 AM
badassmetals: could you supply a contact #? do you have a web site and a e-mail address???