PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a full sized battery in their 6x4?

Rio_Grande
02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I needed a battery for my gator project so I looked at new ones, they are expensive for a low cost dont know if it is gonna run machine. So I had a brand new small car battery in the shop and with some fenagling managed to get the battery into the machine. I will need to make a mount as there isint any more room to sit it flat. This gator has the optional generator so I think it would charge the battery ok. I dont want to do too mch craziness, dont even know if it will run yet.

So anyone done this?

xcxc
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Should work fine, you'll have more reserve power to run things with the engine off. Lock it down good, it sucks when they tip over. Don't ask me how I know. Hope you get it running, if not let me know I could use a parts gator. Wayne

Suffolk Dave
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
The Stator is a 16 or 20 amp output depending on model and the optional Alternator kit from JD is a 45 amp output. With a properly operating regulator you should have no problem with a larger battery. Like XCXC said...make sure you secure the battery out of harms way. It is allways a good idea to apply a 12 hour charge cycle with a proper 3 stage charger to any battery once every 6 months during service to keep healthy plates and electrolyte.
I have been using AGM Absorption Glass Mat batteries due to alot of factors...they are sealed...have charging charistics of standard lead acid batteries accecpting a larger range of charging voltages unlike deep cycle...yet due to the electrolyte being absorbed in a fiberglass mat their is greater contact with the plates...and they act like a deep cycle during low dischage periods but provide surge output for starting the same as a standard battery....I find them well worth the money and are so popular now you can get them most anywhere batteries are sold.
Suffolk Dave