PDA

View Full Version : Boss v plow question

kingwood1
02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
just wondering if anyone running the vee with the shoes and if you are using two shoes or three? still getting this thing dialed in and so far i have twelve washers with the spacer shoes came with under the plow tried two shoes but when i vee the plow it kinda nose dives so im running three shoes for now, also im plowing all gravel drive,

ratrod
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I running the BOSS with just 2 shoes. I have it setup with 6 washers on the bottom and the spacer and remaining washers on the top. It could still use some more adjustment but on a concrete floor in the V position the cutting edge was about 1/4" off the floor with that washer and spacer configuration.

When plowing are you leaving the plow in the float position? And how much of a base is on your driveway before you started to plow?

kingwood1
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
when its on the concrete floor its about 2 inches off the floor and usually wont plow till a good 5 or 6 inches of snow is down, i tried the float position and it still seems to dig in so i've just been lowering plow then lift it when it digs in, seems the more frozen my drive gets the better it works also maybe thats my whole problem just gotta wait till it freezes but never really had the problem before and i've plowed snow with a truck till now. when your plow is in the vee position does the center seem alot lower with out the center shoe?

ratrod
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
2" is pretty high.. If your dealer installed the blade then they have it setup so the blade sits level on the floor without shoes. No the center of my plow is the same as the rest of the blade, but I also have the shoes setup about as low as I can. Take the 3rd shoe off and move your spacer and washers around until you get the cutting edge about 1/4" off the floor then put that center shoe back on to match the other 2. If your cutting edge is higher in the middle with the 3rd shoe and your set on using 3 shoes you'll have to re-level the blade. There is a "how to" section on the BOSS website on how to do that. Otherwise just run with 2 shoes and let your base freeze hard before plowing.

trussman
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Sounds like to me that the installation might not be in the right hole. When I adjusted mine I was able to get the complete plow setting level when in scoop, angle, straight and the middle about 3/8" high when in V position. Then I put on the plow shoes and fine tuned everything. I am not sure you will ever get it perfect for all positions but when plowing on concrete it does fantastic. When I move to a stone lot that I clean, I adjust the plow shoes down about 1/4" 3-4 washers I think and that prevents the digging in. I only use two shoes on the outside.

Hope that helps.

Gator Hunter
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm running the Boss with all 3 shoes, each with 7 washers at the bottom and remaining washers above the spacer (18 above). It does not go low in the middle in the V position. It stays within an 1/8 of inch in all positions, outside to middle.... V, Scoop, and Angled.

Do you have frost in the ground? not sure where you are from... Froozen ground helps, but either way you shouldn't be pushing tons of gravel off. I also wait until I can pack the first 4 inches or so with my truck tracks (yup.. One night I run my truck back and forth over the easement road, one truck track at a time). I found this worked the best even when I was plowing with my light weight atv plow and Foreman.

The Boss plow shoes still dig down to the gravel, but I'm not throwing any gravel with the Boss blade itself, even without the 4 inch packed base I like to have.

How much weight do you have in the bed? I'm running over 500lbs to offset the blade weight of 400lbs.

If none of this helps, I'm guessing the blade may not be mounted level as Ratrod stated.