PDA

View Full Version : 825i Excessive Wedging

Norse5
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
The dealer replaced the front differential under warranty because of excessive wedging. I'm still having the same problem. I was loading brush from a downed tree and dumping it in a ditch on my property. I was on a side hill and I had it in 4wd the entire 5.5 hours I was using it. During that time it wedged up on me 7 times. I owned a JD 620i Gator for 3 years before this and it didn't wedge up this many times the entire time I owned it. The dealer has had it in a couple of times to check on it and have the Territory Manager witness the problem. The John Deere Territory Manager and John Deere Technical Assistance Center are saying there isn't anything wrong with it. REALLY??? If this is normal don't buy one. Is anybody else having the same problem?

CaptDan
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry, but I have no clue what wedging is, could you please explain it for this old guy ?

Thanks in advance,

Dan - NJ

osiris
06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I have no clue either but when im in 4wd everything is good on my 825i no binding or irregular vibrations id raise some hell if they dont resolve the issue though plus if theyve already replaced the the front end so they know theres a prblem

Norse5
06-06-2012, 05:36 AM
From the owner's manual: NOTE: Occasionally the 4WD On-Demand system will not disengage after a change in vehicle travel direction. This is known as “wedging.” If this does occur, the vehicle will exhibit higher than usual steering efforts and driveline wind-up. To disengage (un-wedge) the system, reverse the direction of vehicle travel.

RMOSSSO1
06-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I had a 2005 Ford Excursion which did the same thing. I never knew what to call it, but to get out of 4wd, I had to go thru Park, then Reverse. It would get so bad you could not turn the steering wheel, which I guess is described as "higher than usual steering efforts and driveline wind-up."

For what my machine does where I go, I can live with this problem if I experience it. I was on a path last week that a BURROW could not have traveled. I was proud of my GATOR!

CaptDan
06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Norse5, thanks for the education. In jeeps and 4wd trucks we called it "binding" and usually occurs when operating a 4wd vehicle on a hard surface and does not allow for any wheel slippage.

Again, thanks for the information.

Dan - NJ