PDA

View Full Version : 825i serpentine belt squeals at startup

roboman
06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
When the Gator is cold, it squeals for a few seconds after startup. It's coming from the belt that's hooked to the alternator and water pump on the passenger side of the engine. I was actually given a suggestion (which I should follow-up on since I can't remember the specifics) that it's either the belt that needs tightened somehow or the alternator pulley needs tightened. Which one of those solutions is correct, and how do I go about doing it?

roboman
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Actually, it looks like someone already posted a suggestion about this here: http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?11719-V-belt-squeak

I'll try reversing the belt and if that doesn't work, I'll be back - so other suggestions in the meantime are still welcome. It was someone that works at a JD dealership that told me to tighten the belt since, he says, a lot of 825 Gators have been coming right from the factory not tightened up to specs.

swampdonkey11
06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
my machine has sqeeled a few times since new. i have 15 hrs now and have had to tighten the bet twice. the belts are brand new and will stretch a bit just like any other. add tension and the sqeeling will go away. did for myself and many others on the site..

Kiwi06
06-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Ditto for me on the fix for the squeak. Tightened the belt (by adjusting the alternator) and the squeak went away. Mine was a demo unit )about 40 hours) and was given a good checkup by the dealer before delivery, but I think they missed the belt tension as mine was under spec. The squeak only lasted for about half a second on cold starts, but it was annoying, so I finally got around to tightening the belt.

- Steve in CO (Why does the rain fall all around me but not on my dry plot of land? :Wlys:)

roboman
06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Today I loosened the alternator and put some leverage on it with a pipe to increase tension on the belt then tightened the bolts back down. I'll be keeping an eye on it, but otherwise it's all better now!

CentMO3088
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Mine squealed everytime I started it from the day it was new, to the point of being very annoying. After nothing from my dealer other than wasting my time calling, I got my book out and figured out how to tighten the belt. The belt seemed to be tight enough but I loosened the bolts and stuck a good size pry bar in it and gave it all I had. This ended the squealing. Just disappointing that Mother Deere can't take care of simple stuff like this at the factory. Really disappointing after you try to get the oil filter off for your first oil change. They definately get them on tight enough.

Mike

jergeod
06-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Mine squealed everytime I started it from the day it was new, to the point of being very annoying. After nothing from my dealer other than wasting my time calling, I got my book out and figured out how to tighten the belt. The belt seemed to be tight enough but I loosened the bolts and stuck a good size pry bar in it and gave it all I had. This ended the squealing. Just disappointing that Mother Deere can't take care of simple stuff like this at the factory. Really disappointing after you try to get the oil filter off for your first oil change. They definately get them on tight enough.

Mike

Be careful of just how tight you make that belt, there are bearings in the alternator and if you tighten the belt to tight you stand a chance of premature failure of the alternator.

Kiwi06
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I second the warning on over tightening the belt! That said, mine was way loose when I checked (after hearing the squeal - it had about 40-45 hours on it when I got it, and I don't know if that was tightened to spec before delivery). I tightened it some and THEN :Blsh: checked the manual... went back and tested and it is still a tad looser than spec. It's staying that way for now as the squeal is gone.

- Steve