PDA

View Full Version : Hard shifting

Whh1cfs
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I have a th 6x4. When starting from a stopped position, you have to give it quite a bit of gas and then it jumps into gear. Both fwd and reverse. Been doing this since it's been new. Took it to dealer twice and they said nothing was wrong. Trust me, it's not right. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? It's about 6 years old.

jergeod
08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
The primary clutch on the motor is binding, the weights inside are not able to close the clutch normally to grab the belt easy. How old is the machine?

Whh1cfs
08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
The primary clutch on the motor is binding, the weights inside are not able to close the clutch normally to grab the belt easy. How old is the machine?

About 7 yrs

jergeod
08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Now if you have the ability mechanicly to take the clutch off and take it apart, you will need a clutch puller, replace the bushings, the weights and pins that hold them, the spring, and the slides, check for any burrs on the shaft and slide faces. At this point you have just rebuilt the clutch and it should work like it is suppose to nice and smooth. The clutch should start grabing the belt at a low rpm nice and smooth not smacking the belt when you step on the gas. If you are not up to the task then I would go to ebay or look around the internet and find a new clutch for your machine and then find a dealer or someone to take the clutch off and install the new one. You can get a new one from the dealer but I'm sure it is going to cost plenty more than one you could find elseware.