PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Here and Looking to Buy a TX

MBDiagMan
10-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I've been lurking here a little and this looks like a nice forum.

I have been thinking about buying a side by side for a long time, but finally looked at one today at the John Deere dealer while there buying tractor parts. I have no need for four wheel drive since my place is pretty flat and usually no mud holes. I am now starting through the decision process as to whether or not to buy used or new. I have a number of questions I hope you guys can help with and will appreciate any help you can offer:

o The sales guy was showing me a TX. He told me that the sprung rear suspension is an improvement in later models. How late? What year model got the rear springs?
o The sales guy told me that it had a 13HP Kawasaki engine, but the sticky at the top of this forum says it has 18 or 19 HP. Which is it?
o He quoted me $7,099, saying it was a special price. Is this a good price?
o In some quick preliminary online shopping, it appears that these things hold their value well. I saw some that were halfway across the country from me (I'm in Texas) with between 1,500 and 2,000 hours priced in the mid three thousand range.
o Are there any achilles heels with these machines? If I were to shop used, is there any weakness I need to watch for.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer. I hope for my wife and I to be running around the place on a Gator soon.

Doc

Dane
10-14-2012, 07:54 AM
The JD website lists the TX as having a 13hp 401cc engine so I'd think your salesman was correct.

Considering the $8'499 advertised base price for the TX $7k does not sound like a bad price. Does the one you are considering have any options or add-on's for that price? My local dealer told me that once they got XUV's on the floor they had to do more discounting to get rid of the more traditional model Gators that they in stock so if that's the price they offered maybe you could get them to do a bit better. Still, almost $1'500 off sounds pretty good.