PDA

View Full Version : 825i Rad Screen

jakerator
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this thread in the right place.
I brought my new 825 home a couple weeks ago and noticed the potential of a stick or branch going through the radiator where a winch would be mounted. I like the placement of a winch there, but after thinking about it, whenever I do get a winch, I think I will get the one that I can attach to the front or rear hitch receivers.
In the mean time, I built a simple guard for the rad that I made up of some expanded steel that I had. The dimensions I used are 17" x 6" mounted onto two 4"x4" corner brackets that will attach to two holes provided where the winch would mount. I wrapped the exterior with 3/8 wiring loom although some small flat bar wrapped around would look better, but I do not have access to a welder right now. I had an old JD grille emblem from an old garden tractor that I attached. Here are some pics.

Jake

K-DOG
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Looks great. The deere emblem has changed a little since then:lol:

pahawi
10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Great idea:Thmup: - might copy it one day :BG:

Paul

jakerator
10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'm not sure that the loom or the emblem will stay, i was playing with it. I think I will do the "wrap around perimeter" with some 1/2 or 3/4 " flat bar when my brother (welder) is around. He could probably do something better than the corner brackets I used too, but it shall serve the purpose in the meantime.
Jake

MBDiagMan
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Looks great Jake!

I have enough expanded metal in my scrap pile to make one. I will just weld a perimeter of strap or small square tube or whatever I can find in the scrap pile.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. It will be awhile if ever before I get a winch. I had some cash ear marked for it, but spent it on a windshield.

jakerator
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics of it Doc, I'm sure it will be "prettier" than mine.

Jake

MBDiagMan
10-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Uh uh.... I'm incapable of doing "pretty." I am a function over form kinda' guy.:lol:

jakerator
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Well function is a good thing.
Have great halloween!
Jake

Dane
10-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Looks great! And, it's a good thing you did it first off. It's one of those things you don't want to keep putting off until the day you have a hole in your radiator.

jakerator
10-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks Dane, you are right, when I saw the radiator I always had it in the back of my mind to do that so I would not have to worry about it. Probably nothing would happen, but that is not how the odds work for me all the time.
Jake

Landscaper
10-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Looks great!!

I am going to have to add this to the WINTER welding list!!! I think i have some expanded metal around the shop!!:Thmup:

purplewg
11-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Good job Jake. I had thought about this a long time ago but just never got around to it. Just like the fire extinguisher for my hay baler. Yup, you guessed it. My baler caught fire this year.:cryn:

jakerator
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks gents,
purplewg, you have the same luck as me. Probably if we never worried about that kind of stuff, nothing would happen. I clicked on your web page at the bottom of your post, I will have to go visit when you are up and running again.
I was in Florida 2 years ago with my family over Christmas. We were around Orlando, we had a great time and it was obviously a nice break from our winter.
Jake

osiris
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Looks good, that is one problem I'm sipprised I haven't read about on here is impaling the radiator

purplewg
12-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks to Jake's reminder I finally made mu guard. I was at the farm a few weeks ago checking fences and when I got back to the barn I noticed all those sticks poking out the front. That coupled with this thread got me off my butt to make one.

MBDiagMan
12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I hope I don't drag my feet until it's too late. I keep thinking I'm going to get a winch.

I'm currently overhauling an old Miller BlueStar. Maybe this will be a good project for breaking in the fresh overhaul.:BG:

I like both of the screens seen so far.

jakerator
12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice job purplewg. Doc, that will be a nice light job for the welder to get back into action.
Jake