PDA

View Full Version : John Deere rsx 850 oil

Bassmaster
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Went to dealer today to get the recommend oil, they had none. They say to use John deere plus 2, 0 40w synthetic. So what is your opinion on using synthetic 0 40w mobile one?? Thanks

Gatorfarmer
11-10-2012, 12:12 AM
I put plus 50 0/40 in my rsx. It's what the owners manual said to use. I'm sure mobil will be just fine tho.

825joe
11-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I used the 4 stroke amsoil atv oil 0w40 Great stuff.

MBDiagMan
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Amsoil or Mobil One either one in the recommended weight will be fine. I don't know about the 850, but my 825i owners manual indicated any oil with the SG, or whatever the exact classification was, in the correct weight was acceptable.

Hope this helps.

DominiEarl
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
or whatever the exact classification was, in the correct weight was acceptable.

tenere67
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Use what JD says to use till your warranty runs out and then you can use what you want with no problems.

Z15
05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
The dealer has no way of knowing what oil you used and whats more, JD cannot make you use thier brand, its a violation of the Fair Trade act to condition the warranty on the use of the OEM oil.

They cannot require that you use/buy oil that makes them money.

825joe
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
as long as its the recomended viscosity your fine....

Z15
05-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Exactly :Thmup:

Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) often suggest in owner’s manual, advertisements or through dealership personnel that motorists and enthusiasts must use OEM-branded oil to comply with new vehicle or equipment warranty. Some OEMs include warnings of catastrophic engine failure should a non-OEM oil be used. These tactics are especially pervasive in the small engine / power sports market and are calculated to create uncertainty and fear in the consuming public to the point that many consumers feel they are at risk when using anything but OEM-branded lubricants. Generally, the public is unaware that it is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant.

In some cases, if a Dealer purchases X amount of oil, they will get a Parts Program Discount (or some other incentive from the OEM) for the entire year without having to make minimums. This means they also have to sell them off which is where some of the deceptive sales practices come in at some Dealers.