PDA

View Full Version : XUV 550 Engine

sidebite
11-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Check this out.

The 570cc Vanguard engine is used in Bandelors Race Cars. They are making 30 hp compared to our 18hp.
Check out some web sites releated to these race cars. Our power upgrades are endless. Lots of power
when our current warrenties expire. Wonder how much our drive train will take.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/racing_series/bandoleros/

MBDiagMan
11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes and I wonder how much the engine will take when souped up?

My daughter and I raced go karts about 15 years ago. You can make 10 horses from a B&S 5HP motor and it will live a long time. Go much past that and it won't live too long. I don't know if this formula would transfer to the Vanguard, but I would proceed cautiously.:Ysnd:

Dane
11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I to used to race go carts both with the old style side valve Briggs (Raptor) and newer overhead valve (Animal) ones. Even garden variety side valve engines were pretty reliable up to 6'000 rpm's with the stock crank. But you are right, much beyond that and you were asking to throw a rod and poke a hole in the case.

I'm most curious looking at the Briggs site that the 21hp Vanguard appears to be a bored version of the 18hp.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/pilotdane/misc/th_CIMG0006.jpg
I took this one out to the airport and got it to just touch 101 mph on the runway.

MBDiagMan
11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Dane,

Does the Vanguard as used in your XUV have a pressure oiling system? If it does, then I expect some careful modification could yield a good bit of reliable horsepower. The Raptors that we took well over 20HP had splash lubrication. Even with an aftermarket rod I think that was the limiting factor.

Dane
11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, the Vanguard does have a pressure oil system. I a new carburetor would help it some. Then a new exhaust system. Bump up the timing a bit. Some porting and polishing. Shave the heads... Oh, what a slippery slope. Honestly though I think I'll leave it stock. When I get the urge for power I'll probably just jump for a RSX. I was in the parts dept. at the dealership today and the salesman just stuck a RSX brochure in my hand and walked away. :reye:

I'm a bit confused as to the specs for the 550. The JD lists the engine as 570cc and 16 hp at a slightly fast 4'100rpm while the Vanguard website calls the 570cc engine 18 hp. I wonder if Briggs is rated at the crank while JD is rating it at the Gator's axle and includes losses to the transmission.

sidebite
11-30-2012, 06:35 PM
So many options if someone wanted to tweak the factory engine. I wonder if that 21 hp would bolt right in Dane?

I am very happy with the current power, performance and speed of the factory engine, but the man in me is always thinking what could be done. I am not touching mine for at least a few years though.