PDA

View Full Version : windshield question

plateauman57
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
just recently traded my 825i for the trail model 850i and it has a no scratch "split" windshield. told the dealer i might want to upgrade to the glass with the wiper windshield. question is, which one is going to last better trail riding? was curious if the glass one would break easier if hit by a limb etc.

i don't like this split no scratch one but i guess it's the only one deere offers. the bottom part is stationary and the top part comes out for venting but it was so more of a pain then the one that was on my 825i. that one the bottom part just folded up. this one you have to loosen two nuts, one on each side, push it out, then secure the two nuts.

glass one or not? what to do what to do. any suggestions?

jradue
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
I was going to go with the glass windshield on my 825i, but after further thought, the cost was too high at $900. I think the biggest advantage is the wiper though.

magilla12
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I love the split no scratch windshield. With it shut it creates kinda if a vacuum which dust and grass is sucked in the cab from the rear. I can open it an inch or so, and it doesn't do it.

plateauman57
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I was going to go with the glass windshield on my 825i, but after further thought, the cost was too high at $900. I think the biggest advantage is the wiper though.

if i was having to buy it outright no way would i put out the cash for the glass. but i can upgrade during my trade for about 250. just not sure if i want to.

jradue
01-21-2013, 05:30 PM
If you can upgrade for that little, then why not? You then have the option of adding the cab components.

plateauman57
01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
don't think there are any cab for these yet other than some soft cabs

plateauman57
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
does anyone know if the glass windshield that john deere sells "for the 850i" opens out at the bottom as those that i saw a picture of on an 825i??? my dealer told me there was no venting system on the glass windshield for the 850i so i kept the no scratch one with an option to change my mind within a few days.

tried to get to the details about it on the jd web site but you had to have a log in to view them.

thanks for any replies.

GatorMover
01-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Nope- but it is a quick clamp on/off.

BTW- there is a "OPS Full Poly-this one is not split. Then there is the Full Poly No-Scratch, this is like the 825 one, bottom section flips up.

Expand the comfort and enjoyment of the Gator™ Utility Vehicle with the addition of the occupant protection system (OPS) glass windshield with integrated wiper kit. This windshield offers superior visibility that is clear and distortion-free.

This durable laminated glass windshield comes equipped with a standard windshield wiper. The windshield also features the OPS quick-clamp mounting system, which allows for quick and easy attaching and removing.

No matter what the condition, the occupants of the vehicle will be protected from the elements; the lower section of the windshield seals tightly against the hood of the vehicle.

The integrated overhead wiper switch can be easily activated by the operator in the seated position. The OPS glass windshield with wiper is compatible with OPS poly roofs, poly doors, side-mounted mirrors, and front hood racks.

Batman
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I love the split no scratch windshield. With it shut it creates kinda if a vacuum which dust and grass is sucked in the cab from the rear. I can open it an inch or so, and it doesn't do it.

Other than cracking the front open (which lets dust in thru the crack) is get a rear sheild. Dust hits the front windsheild and then rolls over the roof and dumps into the cab. With the back sheild it will dump into the bed.

plateauman57
01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
well, i went with the glass windshield with the wiper. hope i don't regret it. i know i'll love that wiper during the rain and snow times. just might miss being able to open the front windshield for venting purposes. was hoping the glass one opened up at the bottom as some do.

plateauman57
01-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Nope- but it is a quick clamp on/off.

BTW- there is a "OPS Full Poly-this one is not split. Then there is the Full Poly No-Scratch, this is like the 825 one, bottom section flips up.

Expand the comfort and enjoyment of the Gator™ Utility Vehicle with the addition of the occupant protection system (OPS) glass windshield with integrated wiper kit. This windshield offers superior visibility that is clear and distortion-free.

This durable laminated glass windshield comes equipped with a standard windshield wiper. The windshield also features the OPS quick-clamp mounting system, which allows for quick and easy attaching and removing.

No matter what the condition, the occupants of the vehicle will be protected from the elements; the lower section of the windshield seals tightly against the hood of the vehicle.

The integrated overhead wiper switch can be easily activated by the operator in the seated position. The OPS glass windshield with wiper is compatible with OPS poly roofs, poly doors, side-mounted mirrors, and front hood racks.

you very well may be right......no offense, but i hope you're wrong. lol on the JD website under the rsx 850i trail model it list the attachments and the glass windshield with wiper says the following:

Glass Windshield w/ Wiper

Premium-grade glass windshield and mounting hardware
Windshield wiper and mounting assembly
Commercial-grade gas shocks
Provides a complete automotive seal around the cab frame.

i would think the shocks are only on those that tilt out at the bottom. now, that being said, the 850i is new and most pix of the attachments you can tell are on 825i's. so i guess i'll keep my fingers crossed and find out next week.

thanks for the info.

swales
01-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Another option to consider is building glass windshield yourself. We built one for a RZR.. was pretty simple. Some channel to make the frame and a trip to the auto-glass center. It was less than $200 for everything.

Benefit of glass is it does not have that magnetic quality the plastic does... so dust does is not attracted to it as much. Stays cleaner longer. I would ONLY use automotive glass incase you do break it... but so far the RZR windshield has taken alot of abuse and no damage.