PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke from 550

wedoweebulldog
04-02-2013, 01:48 AM
I have been to my dealer once for this problem but it has not stopped smoking. When I run my 550 at full speed and de-accelerate and then accelerate again I get a lot of blue engine exhaust for a short period,then it stops. The dealer adjusted the carb when I carried it in. Said it was running too lean. Now it's doing it again. Any thoughts or is anyone else experiencing this problem? Mine is a 2012 model 1 seater. I only have 18 hrs. on this gator.

dieselsmith
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Blue smoke is burning oil, black is fuel.

Dane
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not getting noticeable smoke from mine so I would say that it is not normal. How much smoke are you getting? Are you burning any oil? I think I've got 35+ hours since my last oil change and the level has not dropped noticeably.

FamilyGator
08-23-2013, 03:03 PM
So today I had a similar issue....

I was running good then slowed down to turn, then hit the gas out of the corner and huge rush of blue smoke from muffler. I stop immediately and turned off the engine but it continued to run for about 30 seconds! Thought it was a DOA but waited for @ 5 minutes after checking oil and looking for oil leaking from case and it started right up. Ran fine thereafter but was placed directly in garage.

Called dealer and they are going to pick it up as they, and I, were concerned with the smoke....it has 25.7 hours on it. :hdscrh:

Dane
08-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm curious about the engine running for 30 seconds after being turned off. In addition to the ignition I also think there is a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb to prevent backfiring when shutting the engine down. I'd expect either of them to kill the engine.

Make sure you post back and keep us updated. I really wish wedoweebulldog returned to let us know what happened with that machine.

FamilyGator
08-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I did not get a pickup call today but they said not to worry as they are running about 8 - 10 days out right now as it is. I will post back when I find out what is going on.

I too was concerned with the machine running after I stopped and turned the key off and pulled the key out, thought it was going to have a piston sitting in the cargo box. Smoke was pouring out of the muffler like a burning tire! I thought it blew a line and was on fire. Had one of the kids in with me and yanked off his seatbelt to get him out, he was like wow dude but then he saw the smoke too....

Dane
08-25-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm wondering if the smoke is from a blown head gasket but that does not explain why it kept running after being turned off. I just checked the schematic and the carb does have a fuel shutoff solenoid which has me wondering if you'rs somehow dieseled on oil.

vanderrt
08-26-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm not a mechanic but isn't running after the ignition is shutoff pre-ignition so wouldn't the problem be a timing issue? I'm not up on small engine issues so if this is stupid statment please forgive me. I bought my 550 S4 in November and just learning about problem solving. Also I know carbon buildup will cause pre-ignition and that is an issue with small engines and Ethanol in regular gasoline. There are several gas additives that correct the problem. I use Sea Foam but there are several others. It may pay you to do a little research.

Dane
08-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm wondering if the ignition switch is faulty or if there is a loose ground somewhere. With the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb. it's pretty difficult for it to diesel regardless of timing, carbon or any other problem unless the solenoid is still energized.

vanderrt
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Your probably right I just going by how pre-ignition acts on a regular 4 cycle engine after all power is cut off and the diesel effect keeps happening. I know ethanol is real killer for these Vanguard/small engines and real bad on out boards. My neighbor has had nothing but problems with his outboards do to ethanol in regular gas. That's why I started using an additive.

FamilyGator
08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the trouble shooting options. Dealer picked it up today and I hope they are able to get this resolved quickly.

The only ting I can think of that could have occurred was potential for oil dieseling, I turned quite hard and then punched the gas then the loss of power and smoke out!

I will keep you all posted.

FamilyGator
09-01-2013, 10:57 PM
So I had not heard anything to date from dealer and I called to see what was up. They had not serviced the machine yet but service manager said it could be a fouled plug or imbalance in one one the cylinders, they are going to run it on Tuesday of this week and hopefully have an answer by mid week.

I will keep you all posted.

FamilyGator
09-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Gator back today...low speed idle was not set right, there was unequal compression in the heads, valves were filled with deposits, and carb was also needing a good cleaning. Seemed to think that when it began smoking it was due to a combo of items that lead up to choking it out. Dealer suggested that all this was due to carbon build up from the idle setting issue running so rich, kinda makes sense to me but the unequal compression makes me uneasy. Said compression was good enough to rule out rings. Adjusted the valves as well. Suggested to really get on it every now and then to clean it out, like a Holley four barrel needs sometimes, I am all in for that! Going to run it tomorrow to see what happens. :Thmup:

Dane
09-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm glad you got it back.

It common with air cooled aircraft engines to run them hard when new or after an overhaul. Apparently going easy on it does not generate enough pressure to force the rings to properly seal. Maybe you need to really take the Gator out and make it work.

FamilyGator
09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Happened again, running then all of the sudden slow to turn right and hit the gas and,nothing but blue smoke pours out! Calling dealer again on Monday! Not cool!

Dane
09-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I hope they give it a serious going over. Perhaps last time they just did some simple stuff and now they'll get to work and really find out what the problem is/was.

FamilyGator
09-24-2013, 05:43 PM
So this is the amount of smoke this thing is pushing out! Dealer said it is possible that it may have a crank gasket issue which is causing oil to get into system. This is really a bummer to say the least, I am worried now that I may not see Gator for a long time now!

Dane
09-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Holly cow! You can fog mosquitos with that Gator.

I'm not sure how a crank shaft gasket would cause smoking like that. An oil leak yes but smoke from the exhaust I don't know. It just really bites that you are having this problem. I hope your dealer jumps on it and makes it right very quickly.

FamilyGator
09-24-2013, 07:29 PM
The dealer told me to run it solid for a half hour and see if it smoked, well I guess it did. Also told me to look for oil dripping but I saw none, also asked me to watch oil level which is still reading full. Oil is not over full either. It smokes and smells oily when running straight but turn right and touch gas an the fog starts up! Wish I could post a video I took with my phone...it's crazy!

I asked them if I could still get an extended warranty as I am having these issues, they are going to check on that...I am tempted to tell them to keep it as this should not be happening. I will know more tomorrow, in the meantime I am super bummed!

FamilyGator
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
So I heard back, they are now thinking it is a blown head gasket. Also going to replace primary clutch. Hope this helps.