PDA

View Full Version : Gator TS Misfires and Dies, other Gator will not start

DublD
04-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Hello,

I searched for misfire and was taken to the XUV gator forum. So I'm asking here. I am having a problem with two gators.

The first Gator will not start completely. The battery is good, but I do not know where to go from here.

The Second Gator will start and drive well. Then after driving to a point it will decide not to start again. The Engine will turn over, but it wont start without Heavans grace. Another more common problem is that I will be driving and the engine begin hunting and die. And another problem is a loud popping sound right before the hunting and dieing.

For the Second Gator, I am guessing that it's the spark plug and maybe clogged fuel/air supply. But I'd like to ask in a John Deere forum before I proceed. I only have experience on large diesel engines and looking at the small gas engine, it doesn't even look like an engine to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have recently ordered a repair/maintenance kit for the gators, so I should have all the replacement parts relatively soon. Also, does anyone know where to locate a technical manual for this model gator or would a TM manual also be sufficient?

Dane
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Gotta tellus a bit more about #1. Doesn't work doesn't give much to go from. Does it make any sounds when you turn the key? Have you followed the power from the battery to see how far it goes looking for bad connections, bad wires or dead solenoid?

#2 I would first loosen the gas cap until it's barely on and drive it around and see if you still have the problem. If the cap is not venting properly after a while the engine cannot draw fuel and it runs lean before it dies. Sitting a while often lets air slowly leak back into the tank and the machine runs again. If that's the case I would look to see if you have a vent tube on the fuel tank that is plugged or pinched. If you don't have a vent tube then you need a new gas cap.