PDA

View Full Version : starter motor

b79holmes
06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
We just bought a rough 6x4 TH, I think it's a 2005 serial W06X4HD001787.
Bought it knowing the starter motor was going and now it has gone.
Local farm tractor Deere want's $249. have not tried the homeowner Deere dealer yet.

I see many starters for a twin Kawasaki for about $99.

I have ordered the manuals but won't be here for 10 days. What is the exact starter I need?

Thanks,
Bill

Dane
06-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Until you manual arrives you can go to this (http://www.dowdatractor.com/OemParts#)site to look for diagrams and parts. It's similar to what you can get to through the John Deere site but it includes pricing. In the first selection box scroll almost all the way to the bottom and select "utility vehicle".

b79holmes
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM
So while waiting for the manuals do I remove the starter with bolt #1 per diagram at dowdatractor?

I assume the starter is common as many mower type vehicles use Kawasaki engines and I may quickly find one locally but want to get it right the first time.

Dane
07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
I have never looked too closely at the TH but going by the diagram it looks like you simply remove those two mounting bolts and electrical connection. You could probably take your starter to a repair shop and have it overhauled. Even my little town has a starter & alternator repairman.

b79holmes
07-03-2013, 06:58 PM
When I bought this Gator the seller said the starter was bad and knocked $200 off his asking price and we had to jump start it.

Once we had it home and my son drove it around it would restart with the battery so I assumed the battery was recharged.

When it did not start again I assumed it was the starter.

I was able to buy a new replacement starter at a local starter shop for a fraction of the cost of a Deere re-man.
I didn't want to wait a week for them to rebuild my starter with the long weekend and all.

I get the new one in, and no-go. Same buzzing noise and it won't start.

I go in the house for dinner and it hits me that I should try to jump start it again.

I jumped it and it started right up.

So I am glad I replaced the starter and I will get a new battery Friday.

Thanks for the help and pointers.
Bill

b79holmes
07-03-2013, 08:56 PM
What is the exact starter I need?

The old starter had a yellow tag "AM133646". I should have copied the other info but didn't think of it at the time.
The starter and alternator shop knew instantly that is was a Deere part, I was assuming a generic Kawasaki part.