PDA

View Full Version : New gator owner to be questions on what to get

Bunky
07-04-2013, 08:24 PM
The questions I am going through:

1. 625i vs 825i - seems like the 825i is not that much more for much larger engine, much bigger alternator. I am not sure I need the speed but it obviously cannot hurt. Given the 625i alternator is like 25A, I find the batter could easily get taxed with any real load.

1. Bench vs Bucket - leaning to toward buckets for comfort and storage bin. I do not expect to have extra passengers..just two.

2. Extra lighting - one dealer said the standard highlights are not bright enough.I see several options. one is $300 and another is $800 I do want the supplemental lights (like the mid-range ones for rear (front too). Suggestions?

3. Winch -do people really use this much on routine trails? I guess I could add it later

4. Guards - getting the front guards for sure but wondering if the bumper/bed guards. Of course, if I back into something, that would answer that question.

5. Roof / Windshield - dealer seemed to recommend no scratch plastic windshield but glass with wiper seems to be only $300 more. Of course, a washer reservoir is extra

The good news several dealers say home delivery is included but checking around. The discounts so far have been around 10% off list price but one was 5%

Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Dane
07-05-2013, 10:28 AM
1. I'm not sure why Deere produces the 625 model. Unless you can get an incredible deal on the 625 I'd pay the small difference and get the extra power of the 825. I think that Kawasaki engine would make a good fit between the 550 and 850 but it's just too closely priced to the 825 to make much sense.

2. Here (http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?13769-Bucket-vs-Bench&highlight=bench+seat) is a recent thread on the subject.

2. Do a search of this forum for lights as a lot has been said. It really comes down to how much you will use the machine at night. Another is to consider if you do want extra illumination is whether or not to pay the steep price from Deere or install them yourself.

3. No, a winch is not used on routine trails because it is very difficult to get stuck but I suppose that depends on what you call "routine". If you are by yourself and miles from anywhere and do get stuck the winch can be priceless. Again consider if it's something you want to get from Deere or not. Aftermarket mounting brackets make installation easy and you can have a winch for less than half the price of the dealer installed Warn winch.

4. I like the front guards. They are great for pushing brush out of the way and give you something to drive up and bump into when trailering the Gator. Most 825 people universally agree that you should get the CV guards. I think the guards in back are up to you. I don't have them on mine and feel they get in the way a bit but if you have a habit of backing up into things or being rough then they would be a good idea.

5. I have the roof and split poly no scratch windshield. The windshield is of very good quality and I love the split feature for our hot summers but if I had to do it again I would go for the glass windshield. Mine has not scratched yet but I am very careful as to how I clean it. It also fogs in the evenings which any windshield will do but the wiper on the glass version could take care of the outside and a fan or rag will keep the inside clear.

---
Keep in mind that I have a 550 not the 825 or 625 you're considering. I know I mentioned several times about installing options yourself. You can save a good chunk of money and it gives you many more choices however there is no beating the convenience of having everything already on there when it gets delivered to you. And, the quality of Deere's options is quite good so even though they are pricey they are good and professionally engineered & installed.

Bunky
07-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will pick up the CV joint guards and had decided not to get the winch especially since I can get one cheaper later anyway. Your feedback reinforces.

As for the lights, is the wiring pretty universal to tap into the circuit? I did look at threads and saw you had used some other non-JD lights.

I am calling dealers for quotes now on a max config to compare apples to applies. The discounts seem to be less than 10%.

Dane
07-05-2013, 02:05 PM
The electrical system, at least on mine, is pretty basic and there is wiring & connectors behind the dash for many of the factory options. My lights I tied into the wiring under the dash while my winch I ran directly from the battery.