PDA

View Full Version : RSX or 825i

snipepro
09-17-2013, 08:47 PM
On the fence over which gator to go with those of you with the RSX is the low range low enough for 5 to 10 mph trail crawling over downed trees or ruts on wooded trails or should I steer more to the 825i for low speed cruising?

Dane
09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
To me the RSX 850 and the 825 are different machines and I don't think their low speed range would be an issue. For me it would be their physical size. The 825 is considerably larger than the 850 which can be the difference of making it through on many trails. Even with the 850's smaller footprint it will not fit through trails like an ATV so even with it there is a penalty versus an ATV. I have the 550 which is the same physical size as the 850 and my neighbor has the 825. I had to widen some golf cart width trails on my property to accommodate 550 and the 825 simply won't fit through several narrow spots.

But my neighbor's 825 and my 550 do equally well picking through trails at 5-10 mph in high speed range without need for dropping to low range. I use low range most often when I want more precise slow speed control like when using a sprayer to kill weeds. I also use low range when I'm in the swamp with aggressive off road tires. My 550 doesn't have the raw power of the 825 or 550 so the low range helps keep the wheels turning in really deep mud.

DIXIEDOG
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
When I bought my 825i I checked out the RSX 850 also...for me the bed just wasn't big enough and I don't like the radius in the corners of the RSX bed.....if you plan to haul a lot of stuff with you at times the RSX is a bit limiting. You could do a trailer but then you lose the maneuverability advantage. The 825i is a lot more of a workhorse, it also works excellent on the trails you just have to keep in mind it's pretty wide and pick your trails accordingly. The 825i has a good bit of power and the acceleration is impressive for a unit in it's size class. So far I have no complaints with my 825i it's done everything I want and more. I just put a Boss hydraulic V plow on it about a month ago, can't wait to try that out.:Ysnd:

snipepro
09-18-2013, 07:04 PM
OK ,thanks for the responses. Was just wondering if the RSX would manage to do slow crawling as we have about 8 miles of wooded trails to maintain and keep cleared. Thinking the doors might be a pain, also getting in and out of the buckets to clear small downed trees and stuff in trails, as opposed to just sliding off a bench in the 825i. We have two tractors and bush hogs but some small stuff just needs to be done by hand.

DIXIEDOG
09-18-2013, 08:03 PM
The 825i is a workhorse all the way....if the trails are over 60" wide I don't think you can go wrong with it for a maintenance machine. I use mine a lot to maintain a fence line on a couple 100 acre areas and it'll go through about anything and haul all the supplies with ease. Lots of times the 825i ends up making it's own trails, anything under a 3" tree or so it can run right over.:lol:

I will say I really like my high back sport buckets....they are very comfortable and if you don't plan to haul more than 2 people they are a great option to get.:Thmup:

missouri gator
09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
The 825i is a workhorse all the way....if the trails are over 60" wide I don't think you can go wrong with it for a maintenance machine. I use mine a lot to maintain a fence line on a couple 100 acre areas and it'll go through about anything and haul all the supplies with ease. Lots of times the 825i ends up making it's own trails, anything under a 3" tree or so it can run right over.:lol

I will say I really like my high back sport buckets....they are very comfortable and if you don't plan to haul more than 2 people they are a great option to get.:Thmup:

DIXIEDOG is spot on, it sounds like the 825 is the machine for you.