PDA

View Full Version : Break in time & Broken machine ( Transmission linkage)

AlbertaRednek
06-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Brought my new machine home and immediately tore it down to do my own PDI and install a whack of accessories ( Separate post and lots of before & after pics to follow :strpot:)

After a proper break in I went in played in the muskeg with a RZR xp4. We didn't get into anything too crazy as the water never came above the bottom of the seats. finally got her stuck in a rut and had to winch out in reverse.. went to take change gears the shifter went limp and was stuck in reverse.. tried rocking the machine back and forth and nothing. after we had a beer and inspected for possible causes it miraculously started to work again however reverse was in the Neutral position and I wasn't able to shift to low.

limped it back to the trailer to have a closer look with another Beer and the shift linkage on the tranny had skipped out of place.After pulling the linkage apart I found the trans linkage is cone shaped with no keyway.30943093.After moving the trans into reverse I cleaned and reinstalled the linkage in place and tightened the nut back up.. she shifted like a dream after (minus the Ungated shifter which i'm sure I just need to get used to)

I was pretty surprised it doesn't have a keyway to lock it in place and think the locknut was just not tight enough as it had less than 5 hours on it. I will most likely be putting Loctite retaining compound on it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Dane
06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Those tapered connections can be a real bugger. On mine even finger tightening the nut is enough to make it difficult to get the control arm off without friendly hammering. If you think those tapered connections are bogus remove the bolt in the center of your drive clutch and see if you can get it off the crank. That tapered connection is so secure you'd swear it was welded on if you don't have the tool to remove it.

timsgator
06-22-2014, 08:50 PM
mine to but i do have a fix. When mine went back to deere they said to keep it like we fixed it. it was a good idea. we replace the nut with a crush nut not a nylon lock nut. then cleaned the shaft well and used Blue loc tite so far it has proven to work.