PDA

View Full Version : Headlight cleaning

Rare1a1
10-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Working on the new to me hpx today I removed the headlights to clean them as it appears moisture is entering somehow. I am guessing the glass lense is glued to the reflector and there's not a great way to clean them? Anyone successfully separate the two?

Dane
10-17-2014, 10:14 PM
I have not separated them on a Gator but I have done it with others. I used a Exacto razor saw and a Dremel tool to cut along the seam where the parts are glued together. Then once they are apart you can clean them up and glue them back together with two party epoxy or silicone caulk. Before going through all that though I'd check the price for new light housings. New ones might be cheap enough (I can dream) that it's not worth the effort.

Rare1a1
10-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Dane, yea they're about 60 each. Think I'm going to try the exacto plus maybe a quick bake in the oven or a heat gun. I'll report back and take pics if I have some success

Dane
10-18-2014, 06:03 PM
If there is hazing or very fine scratches I've tried products from Plexus and Novus that work well. I would first try the Novus though. They come in different grits and are made specifically for polishing plastics but if you only want to buy one bottle I'd go for Novus No. 2 as it seems most versatile.

Rare1a1
10-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Well I believe the hpx has glass lense so I really only need to clean inside up with a rag and windex because moisture got in it has left a film behind. I have heard good things about those products though. Have you used either on the gator plastics yet?