PDA

View Full Version : Parking lights?

dieselsmith
12-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I just got the deluxe light kit for Christmas and I want to have parking lights with the turn signals. How do you wire that up? I remember reading about a guy who did it but I can't find it. HELP!

2005HPX
12-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Take the light socket out, go to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc, and get a socket for a car thats the same design. Wire it back up and run the parking light wire to the switch. Thats what I done on my HPX.

dieselsmith
12-26-2010, 03:38 PM
There are 2 wires that go into the plug but there are provisions for 3. The bulb itself has 3 prongs too.

ttopfarmer
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
On my 625i, the rear tail light kit looks like it has a spot for back up lights? Any advice on how to install or create back up lights inside the existing brake light housing?

gatorxuv620i
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
ttopfarmer: I would get a simple switch like for the parking brake and run a wire to the positive side on the battery with an inline fuse, then run a wire off the other side of switch and split that into two wires(one for each side) and buy a socket from your local auto parts store and a couple of bulbs. Thats how I would do it:hdscrh:... See if that gives ya an idea:pondrn:

dieselsmith
02-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Would you still have turns when parking lights were on? Thats the trick. Mine has a 3 position headlight switch---off/parking/headlights. Why would you be able to have rear parking lights but not front? I had hoped it that it would hook up that way. Thats why I bought them. I just want it to work like a car does.

WOEII
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Would you still have turns when parking lights were on? Thats the trick. Mine has a 3 position headlight switch---off/parking/headlights. Why would you be able to have rear parking lights but not front? I had hoped it that it would hook up that way. Thats why I bought them. I just want it to work like a car does.
Because it then would be road legal and the Gator as of now is not demed road licensable. As of now the Govt has classified the Gator an agricultural vehicle. Now with the 825I and increased speeds things have to be reclassified but you know how long law makers take to get things done. :BG:

I have the same set up and want it to work like a car does also.

dieselsmith
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Well lets figure this out! If you wired a hot right to it from your light switch on the dash they would come on but the turn signals wouldn't work because it flashes power on and off to make them flash. If there is a hot wired to it you can't get them to flash. HELP!!!!! I want parking lights and my signals to work. There has to be somebody on here that knows how to make it work!

gatorxuv620i
02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Dieselsmith: Heres my opinion maybe itll spark an idea from ya but what if you went to a napa or etc and bought a light socket identical to the gators but with 3 wires coming out of the back. Bought 2 new bulbs like a truck or car uses that has the two fillaments inside (one for turn, one for running). Run the 2 wires to that plug like the old one had then run a 3rd wire from the new socket to the wire for the running in the rear. Youll probably have to have your running lights on and use a tester to figure out what color of wire and whatnot to connect the 3rd wire to. That way it just draws power like as though JD made it to do that. Let me know if that helps. Anybody else got any ideas for dieselsmith?????????

flyinlow402
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Dieselsmith: Heres my opinion maybe itll spark an idea from ya but what if you went to a napa or etc and bought a light socket identical to the gators but with 3 wires coming out of the back. Bought 2 new bulbs like a truck or car uses that has the two fillaments inside (one for turn, one for running). Run the 2 wires to that plug like the old one had then run a 3rd wire from the new socket to the wire for the running in the rear. Youll probably have to have your running lights on and use a tester to figure out what color of wire and whatnot to connect the 3rd wire to. That way it just draws power like as though JD made it to do that. Let me know if that helps. Anybody else got any ideas for dieselsmith?????????

I recently installed the amber lights on mine. The bulbs that come with the kit are a dual filament bulb. The third hole in the socket had a rubber plug in it to seal it. 2005HPX did what you are suggesting, and it works for him. (see earlier post)

gatorxuv620i
02-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok, I read the earlier post. I seen a thread on a detailed description on how to do it the way I described it but cant seem to locate it. If I do ill be posting!!

dieselsmith
02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, I remember that too. I would rather not butcher the harness. If its this simple-find a way to put a pin in that third hole that is plugged to contact the 2 filament bulb, then run that wire up to the 3 position switch, grab the test light and pick up the first and second position hot lead and hook it up. That should do the trick I think?????

dieselsmith
03-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Has anybody figured out the parking light thing? I've been stabbing a test light around and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe adding a resistor to a hot lead from the headlights and tapping into the hot side so they stay on the lower wattage (5 I think)???? There has to be some wiring guys on here

WOEII
03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Betcha one of our newest members "Off Road ResQ" might know. He seems to have a hands on knowledge of the Gator and it's workings. :lurk:
Hope he comes across this thread in his forum Gator travels. :BG:

2005HPX
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Remove a parking light on the front. Find out with test light which is ground and turn light first. Then cut the wires and take the socket to Auto Zone, Napa, etc. and get two sockets like that for a car.

Take a test light to the back of the headlight switch and find out which wire is the parking light.
Splice a wire from that one to each of the parking lights on the front.

Then splice the wires to the new socket.

Tape and tie up any wire/wire connections.

This is all under the machine, so its mostly all hidden.

This is such a simple mod, you guys are making it harder than it really is IMO.

If I ruffled any feathers here, Im sorry. :Hwdy:

WOEII
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Remove a parking light on the front. Find out with test light which is ground and turn light first. Then cut the wires and take the socket to Auto Zone, Napa, etc. and get two sockets like that for a car.

Take a test light to the back of the headlight switch and find out which wire is the parking light.
Splice a wire from that one to each of the parking lights on the front.

Then splice the wires to the new socket.

Tape and tie up any wire/wire connections.

This is all under the machine, so its mostly all hidden.

This is such a simple mod, you guys are making it harder than it really is IMO.

If I ruffled any feathers here, Im sorry. :Hwdy:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2i07yvr.gif

:lol: :BG:

2005HPX
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2i07yvr.gif

:lol: :BG:

:strpot:

Halsey
11-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Anyone come up with a source for the connector yet? I got some this weekend from Pep Boys, Dorman brand, but they won't latch in the hole, but they do fit on the pin for the light bulb. I have a 2011 855d, added the turnsignals but now want parking lights.

nit4fun
11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Hello, go to one of the pink wires at the light switch that powers the rear parking lights. I done this project a few weeks ago on my 825i, use a test light while only having the switch in the parking light position (and with key on of course). Once you find power, turn the switch off and on to make sure the test light burns only when the rear parking lights burns to confirm that you got the right wire/terminal. Hope this helps.

Just checked the 825i service manual, 830A is the number on that pink wire.

Halsey
11-29-2011, 11:08 AM
nit4fun - how did you get the power to the extra filament in the front light bulb? I need source for the correct pins to add. I did find that the light is marketed by JW Speaker, and that the connector is by Federal-Mogul, but can't find any references for the correct pins. I have searched and found a connector - Dorman brand - but they won't latch in the connector. I have run wires in the harness for both sides and soldiered a wire on the single pink wire on the switch for power, just need the right connector to make it all work.

ThomasM
11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Question about the turn signals, are they suppose to work with the ignition in the off position. Mine do, just wondering if I installed them incorrectly

pahawi
11-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Question about the turn signals, are they suppose to work with the ignition in the off position. Mine do, just wondering if I installed them incorrectly

Mine works as yours. My kit is dealer installed, but who knows, if he has done it correctly........? A bit strange they work with the ignition in the off position, as I dont believe anything else, but the horn does. Horn is dealer installed too, though, so maybe it shouldnt either :-)

Paul

Darth Gator
11-30-2011, 10:35 AM

I think they work in the off postion because the hazzard lights use the same circuit.

John Deere Nick
11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
I think they work in the off postion because the hazzard lights use the same circuit.
I was thinking along these lines also. It makes sense to me for them to still work while switch is off. Otherwise the switch would have to be on for the hazards to function.