Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange problem with atv.

Thanks

Strange problem with atv.

Theres probably a better forum out there for this type of question but I figured Id give this a shot. I have an 07 Arctic Cat 400 atv that recently developed the weirdest problem. When its cold out (below 20 degrees) anything over 10mph the wheeler starts to sputter and falls on it face. Now if you hold the hand brake you can drive it as fast as you want and it runs smooth as can be until you let off the brake then its back to sputtering and hardly moves. When its warm out this problem seems to disappear. The few people I have talked about this weird issue have all had that dumbfounded look on their face and haven't the slightest clue as to what would cause this.

Thanks
    Sounds like a fuel mixture issue. Do you have a manual choke on it? If so, pull it out slightly and see if it runs better. If so, you're not getting enough fuel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
    Theres probably a better forum out there for this type of question but I figured Id give this a shot. I have an 07 Arctic Cat 400 atv that recently developed the weirdest problem. When its cold out (below 20 degrees) anything over 10mph the wheeler starts to sputter and falls on it face. Now if you hold the hand brake you can drive it as fast as you want and it runs smooth as can be until you let off the brake then its back to sputtering and hardly moves. When its warm out this problem seems to disappear. The few people I have talked about this weird issue have all had that dumbfounded look on their face and haven't the slightest clue as to what would cause this.
    Ding ding ding! That's where your problem is. It's the micron saftey button. Because you are using the brake it automaticly cuts off the safety and runs normal.

Had a buddies Honda Recon do the same thing. We Macgyverized it so with duck tape so the sensor thought the brake was being used and it worked like a charm. Yours seems to be temp sensitive.

Throw an electric heating pad on her for an hour before ya go riding.

Almost 100% sure that's the key....if not remove nipple from airbox and see if any water comes on out.

Thanks
    What would the choke have to do with holding the brake to be able to drive over 10mph?

Thanks
    Didn't know if it was putting the engine under a higher load or not.

Woe's thoughts make way more sense.

Thanks
    Its parked for now, but I will check out that micron safety switch and check out the carb as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
    Its parked for now, but I will check out that micron safety switch and check out the carb as well.

Thanks
    Haven't had any time to take a look at it yet. Its been in the single digits temp wise and there's no room to work on it in the shop, as another four wheeled project is occupying that space.

Thanks
    too many toys ?????

that's my problem !

Dan

Thanks
    More like one big toy.... Something along the lines of a small big block project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast