Thread: Something new (mabey) in the gator world.

Thanks

Something new (mabey) in the gator world.

12.jpgNewbie greetings from Florida.

I recently came across a heavily parted gator frame at auction. The onlly thing of value that I could see was
    a rear transmission with no secondary pully. The frame was to heavily rusted and damaged to restore it to it's
    former glory. I knew some day I could make a "fun cart" out of that rear end.
    Well that day came recently when I looked at another auction purchase that like the gator frame that was to costly
    to repair. It's an 80's EZ-GO electric utility truck. Like the gator it was missing to many parts to be worth restoring.
    It came as a lot so I had to get both carts.
    Looking at both frames I decided to create what might be the worlds first "EZ-GATOR"
    I welded the frames together and have a perfectly aligned rolling chasis. The fun part comes in fabricating the brake
    and throttle linkages. I'm fluent in autocad and solidworks and have full access to a CNC machine shop so making
    the new ez-gator parts won't be a problem.
    I am in the dark about what the gator frame had in it and what year it is. The data tag is pretty much gone. It had
    Kawasaki in it that was stripped. It does however have a good data tag. I'm assuming it's a 10hp. Most of the electrical
    was stripped as well. All that's left is the voltage rectifer. The motor and trans were stripped of their clutches as well.
    I came here in the hopes of figuring out what I might have with the little info i've got.
    I've looked on ebay at clutches and motors and have held off purchases till I got more info. I'm in no hurry, this is the
    fun cart for taking my 5yr old nephew around the block was well as the neighborhood utility-grocery getter
    I'm not sure where to post future questions ? Is it possible to build the drive train based on the motor info? Any guidance
    would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Thanks
    Oh hell yeah!!!....that's gonna be killer!!!!...welcome to the Forum...that's a really neat project you got going there...just too cool....I love fabricating stuff, but most of mine is done with a sledgehammer and a torch...I admire people that do the Auto-CAD thing and Solidworks...my best bud has a big machine shop near where I live and his grandfather started the business back in 1895 in Chester PA....my buddy is supposed to be retiring and his stepson is taking over the business...he's got a bunch iof high tech machines as well as a couple old Bridgeports and huge Lathes...I'd love to learn a bit about machining someday...

Good luck on your project...there's plenty of great folks on here that will answer questions and help you out with just about anything...and, we like update pics!!!...keep posting as you do more stuff...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Jeff:
    Welcome to the Forum! WOW you do have a project there. A very nice clean start though. That will be one nice machine when completed. I would have been the happiest boy on the block if my Uncle had one of them for to play in!! Your nephew will be the envy of the block!

I am sure someone will chime in that knows exactly what you have.

Larry from ME

Thanks
    Looks like you have a Gator TS frame on the back. I would guess that since it has no rear suspension.

Thanks
    Might I suggest this link for your reading pleasure?
    https://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/f...ng-pleasure%29

I would not just tie the two stamped metal frames together. I would put some support frame in where the two pieces are tied together.

Looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you.
    Never squat with your spurs on.
    https://www.theconeranch.com

Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far fellas...The machine was at the shop when I posted the first post. It's here now and this is the data that I recovered from the machine. The engine looks to be either an 05 or an 01 the tag says 05/01. The data tag on the back of the gator reads W004X2X07509. It appears that there are about 4 numbers on the end of that series that are missing. It's a wild guess but i'm thinking the machine is a 2001. It did say on the motor that it's a 287 CC.
    The photo was a quckie and does not give alot of detail..sorry. Your right purple, It's going to need more support. It's strong enough know that I can roll it around the shop while I fab the the rest of the frame work. It took about 5 hours to get both frames straight. It was a fun mind numbing night. When it was all over I was 1/8 off from square. It was a bear clamping and unclamping, but it's straight and level.
    Last edited by chopperspares; 03-05-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    Sound like your well on your way to having a fun machine. As you make progress please post a picture or two. We might come up with more ideas for you!

Larry from ME

Thanks
    Yeah, that is why my project was up on blocks. I had to have a way to get it square and level. I don't own a frame machine. lol I too look forward to following your project.
    Never squat with your spurs on.
    https://www.theconeranch.com