Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tired the Honda GX670 engine conversion on a 6x4?

Thanks

Anyone tired the Honda GX670 engine conversion on a 6x4?

My gator's engine is toast, and rather than spend a bunch of money boring it out and rebuilding it with new internals, I'm considering either buying a new FD620D short block for $1500, or upgrading the engine. Small Engine Warehouse advertises a conversion kit that swaps in a 24hp air-cooled Honda GX670 engine for $1600. Has anyone tried this conversion, and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks
    I have also seen these conversion kits advertised and the first question I had was if the drive clutch will fit the Honda output shaft... the photos of the kit mounted in a Gator on their web site are great but show no clutch mounted on the Honda...I have also heard the output shaft on the Kawi FD620D sold by John Deere is tapered unlike standard Kawi motors and am not sure if the kit solves this issue...I am also interested in info from any members on this kit.
    Suffolk Dave

Thanks
    The info on their website says that the shaft on the Honda engine is tapered, however, they still don't show the finished install. They also state that you have to cut a bit of the the underside of the dump box to accommodate the air cleaner... no big deal.

The phrase I'm curious about is, "Small Engine Warehouse has designed and assembled each engine kit to match as closely as possible to the original installation. However, some adapting during installation should be expected."
    What adapting, and how much?

I'm going to call these guys and see if I can get some better info.

Thanks
    Spoke with a rep from Small Engine Warehouse. He says they sold over 100 of these kits last year, and people love them. The only adapting that's required (beyond cutting the small piece from the bottom side of the dump bed) is rerouting fuel lines and wires and getting rid of the radiator and water lines. He says he's heard no reports of problems with the installation or performance. It sure is an interesting idea to add 25% more horsepower and get rid of the water cooling issues for a lot less $$$ than a new engine from Deere.

Thanks
    I hope you will keep us updated on what you do. I may eventually be looking at that Honda engine swap.

Eric

Thanks
    I just received the new Honda engine from Small Engine Warehouse. Arrived 2 days after ordering... nice. It comes with a new exhaust system and a new clutch bolt. I haven't really gotten into the install yet (watching the NCAA Tourney and watching my brackets getting clobbered) but after reading through the instructions, it's pretty straight-forward. I'll report back with pics once I get it installed.

Thanks
    I will probably convert one of my 6x4's to this system and would like to hear of any problems encountered. Please keep us posted of any modifications or hidden costs.
    Thanks
    Suffolk Dave

Thanks

Honda GX670-Gator-6x4-T inquery

I too am interested in the Honda air cooled replacing the Kawa water cooled on my 1999 6x4. Below is the email I just received from Small Engine Warehouse. I would like to get others perspective, pics, hidden costs, hidden labor, wire harness (electrical) input.
    ---------
    GX670-Gator-6X4-T
    Honda
    24hp OHV Air Cooled V-Twin Comes with kit to fit into a John Deere Gator 6X4 vehicle, no clutch
    $1,600.00
    We have sold over 500 of the Honda kits in the past year, this is a great engine.
    -----------

Here is the link I received: https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...70-Gator-6X4-T

Thanks
    IMG_0719.jpgIMG_0725.jpgI put the Honda engine in my Gator from Small Engine Warehouse and couldn't be happier. You do have to cut a small section from underneath the bed (looks like some kind of heat shield). Easily done with a cut off wheel on a side grinder. Other than that installation is a snap. Lose the radiator and the weight, discard the A1 ignition module and the fuel pump from your Gator as they are not needed. This is not explained in the instructions.

The engine comes with mounting brackets installed that fit the holes in the exising pan. The shaft is tapered however, it's a little shorter than the Kawasaki shaft so, the kit comes with a bolt that is approximately 1 1/2" longer than the stock bolt. You will need your clutch so don't throw it away with the engine. The kit comes with an exhaust pipe also.

Much more torque than the stock engine and five more horsepower and I have never had a problem with the engine running hot. I think the Honda engine is a very wise investment as it costs less than the short block offered by John Deere and will probably last much longer.

I would post a picture but I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out how to yet. By the way - great customer service at the Small Engine Warehouse. Engine arrived quickly by FedEx Freight (I believe). Below is the link to their website:

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...odel=Gator-6X4
    Last edited by millerdb; 06-11-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    THat is awesome. I would like to see some pics!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast