Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XUV 550 owners, are you satisfied?

Thanks
    Update: Gator still in shop right now for the 2nd time for a host of issues, going on week 3...I did get a loaner gator from them, kinda cool on their part. They replaced both heads, new gaskets, valve seals, throttle assembly and also speed limiter. They also installed a shift linkage "fix kit" from Deere and it did not remedy the shifting issues so they ordered new clutches and are in process of installing now. The dealer is working with corporate for an extended warranty package as this should not be occurring on a machine with less than 35 hours!

At what point does one just ask for their money back with such major issues? Sad, because we really like the appearance and function of the machine but just can't use it for its intended purpose.

Thanks
    Holy cow! From a linkage & clutch issue and now they've rebuilt the engine. How did that happen? I don't recal you mentioning engine problems before.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Yeah was having some real issues, put some pics in a recent post showing the smoke the machine was giving off every time I pushed the gas pedal. I am anxious to hear when I will be getting it back, then to see if it is really fixed this time.

Thanks
    That's right I now remember the photos of you fogging mosquitos.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    We are JD dealers in the Uk and have had the XUV550 now for 17months in the UK. We are only just getting the XUV825i in feb.
    We have had a few issues with the 550 , mainly the footbrake because driver forces his foot down too hard on it. it breaks the pawls.
    Have you had many engine issues?
    The engine bay is incredibly difficult to access I know that.

Baz

Thanks
    Just to let everyone know my 550 S4 is shifting very smoothly with belt change. Adjusting the linkage fixed the 4WD problem. I'm once again a happy Gatorer :o) You know JD makes a good product but the 550 was a new less expensive way of enjoying off roading. It does have some bugs but JD and Gulf Tactor have bend over backwards to fix them. Anyway in my case they have.

Thanks
    550 S4 XUV

Our experience - We HATE IT.

It has less ground clearance than our minivan. I get high centered on most forest road humps they have on forest roads in the west.

If you idle it too slowly it likes to cut out.

If it gets any fuel that isnt premium it cuts out until you add fuel cleaner.

Noisier than a marching band.

Few aftermarket parts can be added unless you buy directly from Deere at their rates or you custom make items. Example would be how I had to make a flange with pipe reducer to put on the Kolpin muffler silencer so we could return it down to normal rock concert sound levels.

Wont get what we bought it for so looks like we are stuck with it. Wont buy this brand again for sure.

Thanks
    LegCramp the clearance can be raised with shocks 2 1/2" giving you 13" of ground clearance. I use regular gas and don't have the problems you have but I do use Seafoam about 4 oz to a tank full to keep carbon build up down but any small engine should have an additive or you'll have problems. I know it's noisy. Mine is really noisy since I put the full windshield in. There are some ways to reduce the sound in fact I think there are some suggustions in this forum if not maybe I saw them on this forum https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/ . I can live with the nosie I know it's not a Cadillac and it's recreational vehicle to get out and to have fun with. Anyway I'm sorry your not happy. It's true I've had my problems with the 550 s4 but my dealer has been great about getting them fixed. Like I said before in 2012 JD came out with the 550 XUV and the 550 XUV s4 to give use guys with a limited pocket book a chance to have a 4WD vehicle to explore beaches and the mountains. The 550 s4 runs about $11000.00 other 4WD XUVs cost upwards of $18,000.00. You have to expect with new innovations there are going to be problems and the 2012 has it's share but I understand the 2014 550s are pretty much problem free. I'm still happy with mine even with the problems that has mostly been taken care of by my dealer.
    Last edited by vanderrt; 03-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks
    There are things to expect with the 550. After all it is an entry level side by side with a lower price point than other brands, it has a lawn mower engine even tho the vanguard is very dependable. The engine is mounted behind the driver under the bed not in a engine compartment enclosed. So with these points it is what it is and a cadillac utv it is not. You have to take it for what it is and how it is designed. I have had mine for 7 months now and have had no issues and as long as I do not have any serious problems i take it as being what it is. I would love one that rides and is a quiet as my tundra but that is not the way it was made. This is just my opinion and like ***holes every body has one.

Thanks
    Jimmydale I like your response. I know the engine is small but it has done everything I have asked it to do. I don't need to go faster than 28 MP. I think for the prince and the accessories you can add the 550 s4 is a great little machine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast