Thread: Need help with 6x4 Gator.....

Thanks

Need help with 6x4 Gator.....

Hello New Guy here. I gotta a 1997 6x4 Gator with a Kawasaki Liquid cooled gas engine. I was wondering what the top speed was I belive its 20mph. My old Gator goes about 11mph I would like to get it to go at least 20. I changed the oil and Filter. the Belt on it was new 6 months ago. any advice anyone thank you in advance..........

Thanks
    The centrifugal clutch is the limiting factor. At JD dealerships they even call it an 18mph clutch.

Thanks
    The only way to increase speed would be to adjust the gov but it is not a good idea... this drivetrain design using an adjustable drive clutch and driven clutch pair acts like an automatic 10 speed bike...as engine rpm increases the drive clutch compresses in on the belt pushing it up like shifting to a larger front sprocket on a bike.... and as load changes on the drive axel the driven clutch expands allowing the drive belt to move closer to the center of the hub just like shifting to a smaller rear sprocket on a bike... if working correctly a very good design. With all that said i took one of my 6x4's out for a ride with the dump bed removed and Curtis Cab off it and was supprised at how fast it was...due to less weight.
    Suffolk Dave