Thread: XUV 550 Sound Insulation

Hybrid View

Thanks

XUV 550 Sound Insulation

I am trying to make my XUV 550 a bit quieter. Initially I took sound readings on a long grassy straightaway and my Gator was 88.5 db when driving 20 mph. Over the same course I recorded the peak sound level standing on the throttle until getting up to 28 mph and it was 92.5 db. Anything but quiet.

I ordered 50 square feet of Fat Mat sound insulation which is .050" thick. It has a base black tar like layer topped by .003" of soft aluminum. I proceeded to install it to the removable panels. Since the Gator is a pretty "open" vehicle I did not think absolute coverage of the panels would make much difference so I just shot for covering as much as easily possible.

I covered the underside of the steel plate on the dump bed.

I also did the left and right side panels. This is the drivers side which has the hole for the fuel tank.

This is the vertical panel at your calves as you sit in the seat.

Thanks
    This is the floor.

The center, under seat storage pocket and handle piece.

I also did part of the "firewall" and the nook where the drive shaft passes through.
    Last edited by Dane; 08-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    In the end I only saw a 1 db drop in the sound level over my test course. Most notably it decreased the bearing/shaft noise but nothing noticeable for the engine or other noises.

I consider phase 1 of my sound reduction to be a bust and not worth doing. Next I am going to try installing a seal between the dump bed and air filter box as well as sealing up the opening around the fuel level window. I think the majority of the sound is traveling free through the air and without closing off those paths it can't be made much quieter.

If anyone is interested in repeating my ordeal I have many more hi res photos if needed. But since the results from this experiment were so disappointing I did not think it worth posting.

Thanks
    Hey Dane. Take heart, your efforts aren't in vein. with all the knowledge you've gained, and pictures you've taken, you have probably seen more than many of the Deere mechanics have on this new model. Thanks for the great reference photos! mountaingoat.

Thanks
    I hope at least I can spare someone the expense & trouble of trying.

I must admit I am more impressed with the Gator after having dug into it. Deere spent a fortune on molds for the plastic to finish it off nice. They mostly used the same screw throughout so you're not scratching your head wondering if the 1/2" long one went here and the 3/4" there and you are not constantly reaching for a different tool. And, in almost all places the screws went into metal, either a steel frame member or a metal clip on another plastic part. There was one "vanity" piece in the air filter assembly held on with three screws into plastic but that was it. For the $8k+ base price I am impressed with all the work they put into it. How often after tearing into something new are you happy with the money spent?

Thanks
    Hi Dane... Thanks for all the great inner working pictures and your effort to quiet the gator. One thing I noticed was a vibration from the box when empty and travelling at low speed. The catch for the box, the sleeve around the bolt vibrates. I wrapped waxed string around the ends of the sleeve, it did quiet it down, but the string doesn't last. It seems like it needs some sort of spacer, bearing or whatever to stop the vibration. Your right, these new 550's for the price are well designed and put together. gatordear

Thanks
    I also have a rattle in my dump bed latch. Mine is not a small tinny rattle like the roller. It's more a harder/bigger rattle. In my case I think it's because both latches are not exactly even. One latches tight holding the bed closed while the other has a slight bit of free play allowing it to rattle. I'm going to try installing a couple rubber bumper pads so the latch is always under a bit of tension on both sides. Next project I suppose.