Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Oil for your 825i?

Thanks

What Oil for your 825i?

I hope this doesn't turn into a contentious oil thread like I see on other vehicle forums and that is certainly not my intention.

After looking in the manual, for my temperature range, I am going to use Mobil One Fully Synthetic 10W30.

Let the flames begin.

Doc
    Doc
    2013 825i
    I live so far out in the boondocks, my TV runs on propane.

Thanks
    Mobil is junk I heard it turns into sludge after 100 miles Peanut oil works the best.

seriously, I'd like to hear more on this topic. Doesn't JD recommend full synthetic if you don't use there oil?

Thanks
    Hi Doc,
    I'm certainly not an expert on this, but when I purchased my oil and filter for my 825 for the breakin change, my dealer suggested that I use the dino oil for at least a couple changes, for me that would be next year sometime. I changed my JD 2320 CUT to synthetic this fall, it only has 63 hours on it and now 4 oil changes since July, 2010. ( I used the JD 0-40), but I'm certainly not going to suggest that it is any better than anything else. My dealer also told me that it did not have to be a JD brand, as long as met the required API specs.
    I would like to change to synthetic as soon as possible with the cold we have here, but I have gone without synthetic for a long time in my other engines, mind you they have block heaters whereas the Gator does not.
    Jake

Thanks

Thanks
    Mobil one 10w-30, JD filter.

Thanks
    Why not just use the JD recommended oil? I use the fully synthetic 10-40 like they recommend.

Thanks
    JD filter and oil.

Thanks
    Thanks for the link osiris and thanks to everyone for the comments.

Between my wife and I we drive about 60,000 miles a year, and we're both car enthusiasts so we buy cars more often than most. In recent years, we've gotten into some cars that even come with synthetic as the factory fill. Never use anything but synthetic in them and it's amazing how good modern engines are made and how long they last.

From these experiences and other reading, I've found that it no longer is necessary to run dino oil during the break in period. In fact I have done no research at all and have no clue, but it wouldn't surprise me if this little JD DOHC, 12 valve 3 cylinder came with a synthetic factory fill. Is the JD replacement oil synthetic?

I am an oil change maniac dating back to the sixties when engines and oil were QUITE primitive compared to what we have today. In those days, oil would sludge at the drop of a hat. In those days I changed oil often and drained it only when engine was hot and let it drain overnight to get out as much sludge as possible.

Todays engines and oils are light years ahead, but old habits die hard. I still do hot, often overnight oil drains and change it often.

Even the worst of the premium motor oils sold today are fabulous compared to the oils of the sixties and even seventies. It started getting much better in the eighties or maybe even late seventies.

I understand perfectly why many people feel that the OEM brand oil is best, but I've never used it. There are always many good aftermarket oil brands and types to choose from.

The Gator hit 7.0 hours last night and I'm armed and ready with oil and filter for the 8 hour break in oil change. I expect that JD did not pull the 8 hour number out of a hat, so I'll change it as close to 8 as I can.

Thanks again for the responses.
    Doc
    2013 825i
    I live so far out in the boondocks, my TV runs on propane.

Thanks
    hold up on using mobil 1, I was told from my dealer not to use mobil 1...Mobil 1 lacks special additives ...however their is special additives in JD PLUS-50 II....its SAE 0W-40 full synthetic

Thanks
    I just bought the 825i a week ago and Im watching the hour meter as well...8 hours is the magic number to change the oil...Im putting in JD PLUS-50 ll ...SAE 0W-40...its full synthetic with the necessary additives needed for that motor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast