Thread: " Ridge Runner" Easy Latch Brush Guard.

Thanks

" Ridge Runner" Easy Latch Brush Guard.

Hi all! Anyone tired of wrestling with the Clevis Pins on the 550 brush guard? Here is a nifty little fix. These are spring latches sold by J W Winco on-line. Just flip them foreword drop the guard, then back up, and flip back! No sore fingers, shaking the guard back and fourth, or lost pins! the part # Type- B 722.2-14-20-B-SW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 06-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    The brush guard pins take a little jiggling to get out on my 825i too.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Smart! And, something Deere should have done up front. My Deere mowing tractors have a similar latch on their front brush guard.

I never use the pins at all. I tightened up the pivot bolts so it stays in whatever position I leave it. Without the pins it's much quicker and easier to pull the guard forward and lift the hood to get into the storage compartment.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    I just tightened the swing bolts on the brush guard like Dane and took the pins out. I don't think the I ride as rough of terrain as you mountaingoat so it stays in place anyway so far so good. It's been almost 2 years and it hasn't moved unless I move it.
    Last edited by vanderrt; 06-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    550 S4 JD Green and Yellow, Lexan Vented Windshield, 3000LB Winch, Bighorn Tires, Alum. Alloy Wheels, Poly Roof, Brush Guard, Rear Bumper, Turn Signals, Flasher, and Stop Lights. Side Mirrors and Rear view mirror.

Thanks
    There is so little storage under the hood the pins are not that much of a bother. The primary reason is to get to the radiator or fuses.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    That's one nice thing about the 550's. With no radiator up front the storage bin under the hood is pretty big. Big enough that you want to have easy access to it.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Yep, and a great place to mount an on-board air supply. Some owners won't pop the bonnet until a fuse goes, me, I use it daily, and a good reason for the easy brush bar latches that always return to the exact spot for my driving lights! I like easy!
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 06-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks

Spring Latch upgrade

Just converted my 825i's brush guard over to spring latches. Decided to use hole already there so had to drill out the guards stop pins to secure these correctly.

As far as Deere using these latches instead of the pins, remember that every little upgrade cost them & therefore us money. I'd rather spend money on parts & upgrade this in an hour than have spring latches on it at the dealers. Customize & improve & then sell the idea to Deere..... These latches are about $20 each from J.C. Winco so what would JD charge us if they came with it?

Opens much easier, no busted knuckles when pulling those Clovis pins now. Takes a minute to re-lock the guard in place w/out the stop pins though. Oh well I'm figure it out. Still works well just takes a moment to latch in place.

My brother said he would've drilled new holes & kept the stop pins.... Now he tells me, where was that advice before I started the conversation I asked? That's why he's a mechanic & I'm not I suppose
    Last edited by BillT; 08-23-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: make easier to read
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!