Thread: Speed upgrade to John Deere TH diesel 6x4 Gator? Is it possible?

Thanks

Speed upgrade to John Deere TH diesel 6x4 Gator? Is it possible?

Hello folks,

Is it feasible to make my 6x4 Gator go faster? I know the top speed to be around 20mph. Can it possible to be cheap and feasible to raise the top speed to be around 30mph? Using my Gator to be a camera car for Steadicam. Anyone knows what gear to swap out? I know it is a variable transmission. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Unfortunately it's a machine designed for carrying a load over soft ground and not for speed. It's also not popular for speed mods so I think you'll mostly be on your own to come up with something.

Simplest would be to replace the tires with something taller. But with six tires it would not be cheap and with so much tire the ride might get "bouncy" and not the best for a photo platform.

I don't know of anyone that make fast gears for the transmission but that might be another option.

Beyond that you can start messing with the governor to increase the engine's rpm but it comes with increased noise and reduced reliability.

I would suggest looking at one of the latest generation vehicles. The XUV 550 and RSX 860 both have class leading suspensions for a smooth ride. The 550 can muster 30 mph while the RSX can get you there in a heartbeat with lots of extra speed in reserve. The XUV 825 would be another good option. The suspension is not as advanced but it's larger frame size offers plenty of space and cargo capacity in addition to the speed you need/want.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Thank you Dane. I will keep what I got as is , just a thought.