Thread: What does your battery read when idling?

Thanks

What does your battery read when idling?

Well, I just replaced my first battery on my 2011 825i. The previous battery had a ton of corrosion and battery acid on it. After installing the new battery (I went with a 500 CCA Battery) the voltage is 14.1 when its idling. This seems high to me and might explain the extra corrosion I think? Can anyone see what their battery is when it is idling?

Thanks,
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    With a fully charged, new battery I wouldn't worry at 14.1 at all. It's when you get into the mid 15's before its time to start worrying. Make sure the connectios are clean and tight and it should keep it from doing it again. Also, check that the caps on the battery are tight and not leaking acid. High voltage doesn't make corrosion, bad connections and leaking fumes and acid do. Clean up your terminals with some baking soda and water, then a wire brush, and tighten them back down and you should be good.
    XUV 850d, Olive, Ops Roof, doors, sliding rear window, gun rack, Receiver mount winch front and rear, power dump, brush bar with headlight protection, bed liner, roof mount lights, standard steel wheels with 489's, etc... Modified 6x4 72" snow plow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to htr4 For This Useful Post:

Zephyr74 (02-13-2015)

Thanks
    Mine 850d has a 13.4 v at idle...but i have my idle turned down too. Touch the go pedal and its in the mid 14's.
    XUV 850d, Olive, Ops Roof, doors, sliding rear window, gun rack, Receiver mount winch front and rear, power dump, brush bar with headlight protection, bed liner, roof mount lights, standard steel wheels with 489's, etc... Modified 6x4 72" snow plow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to htr4 For This Useful Post:

Zephyr74 (02-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you all!
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    doesn't really matter what the voltage is at idle. You should see between 13.9 and 14.5 at 3000 rpm with all lights on (charging system test). Key on - engine off voltage of fully charged battery should be about 12.5V (battery test).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Ferguson For This Useful Post:

bradhill (01-05-2016),Zephyr74 (03-18-2015)