Thread: 2012 550 S4 or Ranger Crew 500

Thanks

2012 550 S4 or Ranger Crew 500

I'm looking to get a used UTV for light driving around the lake house. I have narrowed my choices to either a 2012 Gator or 2012 Polaris. I like the look of the Gator the best but noticed the reviews are really bad on JohnDeere.com. Has anyone else had quality issues with their Gator? Woild you go with a 550 S4 or Crew 500 if price was about the same?

Thanks
    Just read this and the other Gator forum to see what issues folks have had with their Gators. You should also visit the Ranger forums to see what issues people have had with the Polaris. Then compare the issues that both machines have. Neither is perfect so you'll just have to decide for yourself which is better. Keep in mind that few people sign into a forum and just start a thread to say their machine is running OK. Many folks only post when they have a problem so just because you see threads about problems it doesn't mean a machine is junk.

The Gator 550 did/do have a couple issues but Deere has been addressing them under warranty so knowing the maintenance history of the machine you are considering is important. The original engines often blew head gaskets. Deere installed a new type which largely resolved that problem. Then there is the drive clutch. It too was a problem and Deere replaced them under warranty. I don't own a Polaris and I don't visit their forum but my neighbor has a ATV/UTV repair business and the Polaris and their clutches are not free from problems either.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires