Thread: Question about 825i throttle response

Thanks

Question about 825i throttle response

I just took delivery of my new 825i and after reviewing the owners manual and becoming familiar with all the controls, I figured I would hop on up in the drivers seat and move the gator into the garage as I had some addon's that I wanted to install and it was about 103 outside.

So i stuck the key in and started the engine, it started, I put my foot on the brake, let off the emergency brake and put the gear selector in forward and let off the brake and nothing happened so I put my foot back on the brake and rechecked the gear selector position and it was correct so i let my foot off the brake peddle again and still nothing so i though perhaps a little pressure on the gas peddle, the engine rpm increased but still nothing so i gave it another nudge on the gas peddle and that sob launched its self into the garage and by the time i managed to hit the brake peddle the nose of the gator was within 5 inches of the garage wall.

Well i was too close to the garage wall so I thought I would back it up a foot or two. I had a repeat of the entry into the garage, sudden engagement of the drive train.

IS THIS NORMAL FOR THIS XUV???:

Thanks,

JD

Thanks
    JD,

The Gators use a CVT that engages and changes ratios based on RPM. If you never drove anything with one, they seem a bit unusual at first. The engagement RPM is relatively high. Easing into the rpms will seem to take forever before movement happens. I use more of the stab method... quickly depress the throttle a fair amount and you'll learn to judge the engagement point.

Is this new? If not you might want to search the forum for sticking primary or difficulty engaging forward or reverse... They have a tendency to stick.

Here's a link to better describe how they work from Team. Team supplies a large number of Gator clutches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 200mph; 08-08-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Continually variable transmission = CVT
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    200mph,

Thanks for the info, i guess I never expected gator to be able to launch its self off the line, but after reviewing the link you sent me it looks like its an all or nothing proposition with a CT transmission and the operation you suggested makes perfectly good sense now.

Just going to have to take the time to get my wife familiar with it (her son's refers to her as lead foot and there was a song that came out in the '60s that described her perfectly, "The little Old Lady from Pasadena").

JD