Thread: 825i Camshaft Position Sensor Issues

Thanks

825i Camshaft Position Sensor Issues

I have a 2011 825i that stopped running while going down the road. I took it to the dealer and the code reader showed an issue with the camshaft position sensor. I put a new sensor in it and still no luck. Has anyone had a similar issue and can advise me what to check next?

I followed the tech manual and I have 12 volts to one of the wires, and 5 volts to the other. The third wire is supposed to have continuity between it and ground. I am getting 5 ohms. It says next to check continuity between that wire and the port on the ECU. Where is the ECU and these pins located? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I tracked down my issue. The Camshaft sensor was fine, the tensioner on the timing belt fell apart and I am sure the timing belt slipped. Does anyone know if the valves can hit the cylinders on this particular engine when the timing is way off? If there is enough clearance that they cannot hit, then I should be back in action soon. If they physically can hit the pistons then I might have way bigger issues. I suppose I will find out pretty fast once I get a new tensioner and timing belt put on and try to start it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MontanaGator For This Useful Post:

bradhill (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Any luck with the repair?
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    i was curious about the interfearance between valves and pistons , i contacted a john deer rep and he assured me that the cherry 3 cyl engine was not an interfearance engine so i havent been to concerned on changing the timing belt i know on like hondas or toyotas these belts will go between 60 and 100 k how did you come out on yours?

Thanks
    did you install an extra battery for the bed winch or run power from the factory battery, i made a plate and welded a hitch receiver tube to it for a rear winch , but havend quite figured how i want to wire it yet