Thread: 2020 John Deere GATOR XUV 865R

Thanks

2020 John Deere GATOR XUV 865R

Finally got up to the top of the line with a loaded accessorized JD Gator 4X4. It is such a great machine that it is difficult to comprehend why JD engineer designers would make such annoying errors in interior design. First the arrangement of the on off toggle switches seems to be a bit haphazard as one that are frequently used are close to ones that are not such as the windshield wiper switch. Therefore one is always unintentionally setting the windshield wiper on. The worst is the hand break. The new foot brake system is sturdy and effective; however, the release handle is a cheap piece of plastic which is threaded on without using an inset threaded metal sleeve within the plastic handle, or it could have been the rod run through the handle and held by a recessed nut placed in the outer face of the plastic handle. It is also a great knee whacker as it sticks out of the lower dash at a perfect level to beat up one's knee when one exits the Gator. It could have been recessed or placed beneath the dashboard. Setting the time on the radio clock was very problematic in both this Gator and my last Gator which had had the same radio. I felt that the dealer should have had the radio clock set for delivery to a customer instead of leaving the frustration to a customer who is eager to begin enjoying their newly arrived Gator.

Thanks
    I have a 2014 825i gator,havent had many issues with it except for fuel pump and parking brake ,still don't understand how members are saying adding oil to this unit will take up on adj .seems you must h ave a different model from what you are saying has given you problems , there are many items that I believe could of been designed differently to make machine a lot easier to work on, anyway good luck with yours I have relocated and changed many items on mine especially the air cleaner that is located on the floor right down in the dirt ,I made a snorkel and located it up on the roll bar , works great and im not replacing air filters every couple of months have a great day Al

Thanks
    Nice move on the air filter.
    Yesterday the JD tech showed up as mine is under warranty. The radio went bad. Started with reception problems. Then shut down completely. It turned out to be a relay behind the radio. While the dash was apart he moved my toggle switches which was simply unplug and re-plug where best location would be for the Gator operator. The windshield wiper switch was always getting hit to on and was a nuisance. Only item in the interior design that is left as a problem is the location of the hand brake release.
    Again, I state that the previous hand pull lever hand brake system was not good. The new foot brake is much, much better.

Unfortunately, within a few years the safety brake failed. JD made a nice system using a foot pedal and a pull handle release. Unfortunately, they had very little care about the real safety of their loyal customers. The ratchet plate with its teeth is made too thin and the metal is of poor quality. The teeth on mine wore off way too soon (should never wear off). This is such a safety issue, yet there has been no recall. JD used garbage quality parts on a Gator that is a $24,000 to $32,000 UTV. I have to wonder if their safety brake systems haven't injured someone by now, and JD has been sued.
    Last edited by Burcha1; 08-26-2022 at 02:36 PM.