Thread: Gator goes too fast

Thanks

Gator goes too fast

I just bought this turf gator and the guy told me he had it "souped up" to go fast. I figured it was just the governer had been taken off. Well the only problem is Ive never really worked on small engines like this. Ive never had to deal with any governers and I dont know what to look for.

Just so its clear which one Ive got, its like a golf cart in that when you push the gas pedal it starts then push harder and you go on. Of course with this one you push the pedal and youre going 20 miles an hour, let off and it quits. I just need it as a garden tool not a HOT ROD.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum! sounds like you have a hot rod on your hands! Who knows, you might find someone that will offer up a trade. Some loke the speed! Good luck

Larry from ME

Thanks
    Normally I would too, its just really unusable right now. Literally you press the pedal and once the engine is running its going full blast. There is no part throttle, balls to the wall or not at all. Haha, I guess I should say I got this for my mother to drive around the farm so it really just needs to be close to stock, I just need help putting it back. I could take a picture of what Im looking at if it would help diagnose as well.

Thanks
    pictures always helps

Thanks
    I'm going to guess that he put a smaller drive belt on it so the clutches would always be engaged under any engine rpm.

Thanks
    Could be someone cut too much off of the clutch springs and it is locking up with little to no RPM.
    Never squat with your spurs on.
    https://www.theconeranch.com

Thanks
    Okay guys, I had a little time today so I dod a little investigating. I took the bed off so I could see while it was running what was happening. I did notice it doesnt want to start (doesnt even send voltage to the starter) every time you press the pedal and also, the last owner wired in a light switch that is touch screen?! Anyways, the lights wont shut off and come on and off when you put the gator in reverse. I may have to put a normal switch in and replace that pos he used.

Here are some pics, hopefully you gurus can shed some light for me.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
    -Webb

Thanks

Same issue

I just bought a 2006 Gator with the same issue. The throttle is wide open by the time the belt engages.

I'm about to try a new belt. It looks like the current one is factory with about a 1/4 inch of wear. Maybe the extra 1/4 inch will make a noticeable difference in how soon the belt engages.

My governor looks all messed up too. Can someone upload a pic of what it should look like?

Thanks
    i would look at the pedal control to see if the previous owner crossed some wires to bypass intermediate speeds, might be all it would take, if possible i would try and contact the previous owner and see if you could get any info on what he did