Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to the oil filter 855D

Thanks

Getting to the oil filter 855D

In process of changing oil for the first time. I cannot figure out how to even get to the oil filter.

Closest is from the passenger side straight in at the back of the motor....but at that angle, I'm blind and by feel can't get a grip on it.

Am I going to have to take off some hosing at top to get to it?

And...most oil plugs won't leak oil until you are ready to pull the plug out after getting to the end of the threads. Not this one....starts leaking the moment you crack it just a bit. Results, oil running over your hands and wrench until you get to the end of the threads. DON'T like that.

Thanks
    I'm 70 years old...and have changed oil myself in every vehicle I have ever owned. Getting that oil filter off is perhaps the hardest one to get to I've done. I come in from the passenger side, left handed too where my strength is not. It needs a cap type oil filter wrench...I'll check on getting one. The right cap wrench would make it quite a bit easier. To put back on I used my hand and a piece of sand paper for grip...believe it's tight enough.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you got it done. I just performed the first one on my 825 last week but it was not too bad. Do you not have to remove a guard from underneath as on the 825?Take Care,
    Jake

Thanks
    I did remove the rear guard thinking I could get to the filter from below, but that was a no go. Frame bracing in the way.

Thanks
    I accessed mine from below. You have to remove the metal guard.
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

RSX 850i- Camo Trail model.--JD Half Windshield, Sport Roof. (sold)

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    Joe ????????? I took the rear skid plat off and ran into frame supports. I thought I would have access that way. From the top other motor parts, in particular the support tube for the oil checking stick was in the way. Only way in I found was from the right side, Perhaps I just looked wrong, but don't think so. How old is your 855D?

Thanks
    im sorry bud, I was thinking about the 825....my mistake.
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

RSX 850i- Camo Trail model.--JD Half Windshield, Sport Roof. (sold)

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    I had to come in from the right side and the first time it was a pain because the filter from the factory was installed very tight but now it is much easier. I bought a filter wrench that fits on the end of the filter and as you turn it off the oil filter wrench tightens more on the filter as you work the ratchet wrench to remove the filter. It all works great.i will post a picture of wrench(made of metal not plastic)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Destiny creek; 03-21-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    Now that I tighten by hand...I suspect I can get off just by my grip. But it seems after they have been on for awhile, it takes more grip to get off than it took to get on....so, yes I need to get an end cap type of wrench. The one I had...with a handle...I had to use a long screwdriver from above, to push the clamping mechanism tight while I move the handle. Could only move about a quarter of an inch. Was beginning to think I'd have to put oil back in, and change filter later...but it finally moved, just that little bit. I'll be buying something for sure. It appears they did not give any thought whatsoever about the end user accessing the oil filter.

Thanks

JD 855 D Gator Oil Filter removal

Access from passenger side. If age 70 + with limitations acquire a more youthful person with skinny arms. Place in his/her hands an oil filter wrench that is of the channel lock pliers type. The best length of the tool should be 10 inches or smaller. Grip filter with this tool and turn upwards right , counterclockwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast